Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I own lots of iPhone. From old iPhone 4s to new iPhone 12.

Recently, few of my iPhone 7's battery decided to quit. So I ordered 5 batteries from Amazon. Use heat gun and installed the battery. Total cost is 130 dollars plus tax (CAD). Going to Apple. it will be 325 (65 a pop). I am saving well half of the cost.

I also went to Kijiji, brought an iPhone 8 with broken screen. Brought an screen for 30 dollars. Went to ifixit, followed the instruction. Repaired the screen. Official Apple's screen replacement 195CAD. You can buy a used iPhone 8 for about this price. Apple has guts to charge someone this kind of money for a almost five years old iPhone.

MKBHD has a fantastic video about right to repair. Well worth to watch it.

I am going to continue fix my phone. Some of you might argue that third party battery is dangerous and fire hazard. I am going to tell you that I am willing to accept the risk, I take full responsibility when it explode or cause fire.

I don't care if I get message telling me my screen or battery is not official. I know it is not official, Apple doesn't need to tell me this.

Apple's anti-consumer behaviour is very arrogant and frankly it is a joke.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
i think you get one free battery replacement with apple then after that they charge you

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
i think you get one free battery replacement with apple then after that they charge you

No, you don't. If iPhone's battery went down below 80% during warranty period, you gets free replacement. You are on your own once warranty period expired.

Pretty much all iPhone 7 at this point are out of warranty (unless you somehow purchased the phone from carrier recently).

Even with paid battery replacement from Apple, you are only get 3 months warranty. Some repair store offers one year warranty on the battery replacement.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
No, you don't. If iPhone's battery went down below 80% during warranty period, you gets free replacement. You are on your own once warranty period expired.

Pretty much all iPhone 7 at this point are out of warranty (unless you somehow purchased the phone from carrier recently).

Even with paid battery replacement from Apple, you are only get 3 months warranty. Some repair store offers one year warranty on the battery replacement.
got it

Stellarspace

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2018
Where are you getting these numbers from? On Apple's website, it says an out-of-warranty iPhone Battery Replacement for an iPhone 7 is $49. You're paying for the part and servicing the device. This has nothing to do with the Right to Repair.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Where are you getting these numbers from? On Apple's website, it says an out-of-warranty iPhone Battery Replacement for an iPhone 7 is $49. You're paying for the part and servicing the device. This has nothing to do with the Right to Repair.

From Apple Canada website. I am located in Canada, so I am paying for Canadian price.

iPhone XS and above, will have message for non genuine message. iPhone 11 and above will have message for non-official display. This to me is anti-right to repair. With iPhone 12, you can't even replace rare camera.

Stellarspace

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2018
From Apple Canada website. I am located in Canada, so I am paying for Canadian price.

iPhone XS and above, will have message for non genuine message. iPhone 11 and above will have message for non-official display. This to me is anti-right to repair. With iPhone 12, you can't even replace rare camera.
As far as I'm concerned, independent repair shops already have the ability to replace parts in an iPhone without getting the non-genuine message on the device they're servicing. They're able to acquire parts, components, diagnostic software, etc. through unofficial methods. The non-genuine message only appears on the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max, and it doesn't prevent the device from functioning normally.

VCCmain

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2021
As far as I'm concerned, independent repair shops already have the ability to replace parts in an iPhone without getting the non-genuine message on the device they're servicing. They're able to acquire parts, components, diagnostic software, etc. through unofficial methods. The non-genuine message only appears on the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max, and it doesn't prevent the device from functioning normally.

Yes they have the ability to repair things anyway but they get these schematics and components by waiting on someone from the factory to leak some. Or they find another device in the market with the same part they can harvest the part from in order to put it into a damaged device and repair it.

It feels so wrong to me that to fix a $1500 macbook motherboard power management IC a repair shop needs to buy a apple iPhone charging case at $120, destroy a perfectly working piece of tech that isn't designed to be opened or repaired and create more e-waste in the process. That chip shouldn't cost any more than about $5. When you go to the apple store with this problem you are told that it's replacement motherboard time at $1500! And you'll lose your data in the process. If this chip was made available in the market this type of repair would be widely available for approx $250-$300 through third party repair outlets.

What a huge waste of rare earth elements that goes into these devices to produce a whole new device because one IC is broken. Its ridiculous that someone could lose important information because Apple prefer to sell a new device over repairing.

In my opinion if they don't want to repair themselves - that's fine. If they don't want the hassle and difficulty of motherboard level diagnostics that's understandable. But they need to allow the people with the skillset to do this work professionally to have access to the parts they need to carry out repair without leaving a mountain of ewaste and adding unnecessary $120 price tags on top.

Consumers deserve to pay reasonable prices for a repair and the environment we live in deserves better.

There's no justification for denying third party repair shops the ability to repair Touch ID and Face ID functions on iPhones, they've all been repairable parts in Samsungs from the moment they introduced face scanning and fingerprint unlocking functions. Its never created a security risk with any other android device. Apple have tried to justify this inability to repair as a "safety and security" concern. But if this really is the case then it can only be because of god-awful engineering on Apples part and they should be fined heavily for putting everyone's data and security at risk. Our wallets should not be punished and consumer devices should not be declared unrepairable because apple fails to build a system that protects user data sufficiently well to actually allow them to be repaired.

The truth is these parts don't have a security or design flaw and the protection on them is top-notch. But in the same way samsung has had 0 data breaches or hacks due allowing third party repair outlets to replace these same types of physical sensor iPhone would have 0 also.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020

Yes. Some repair store might able to. They have the equipment, it is simply removing battery’s SMC chip and reattach to new one. Or copy information from original screen to new screen and call it day.

But not every store is capable of doing so. I have yet see store able to replace iPhone 12’s camera without avoid annoying messages.

For any older iPhone, with exception of screen and battery replacement, Apple will charge you more than 400 Canadian for iPhone 7. You can buy 3 iPhone 7 with that price.

If you broke iPhone 12 camera, you are paying over 700 dollars for it.

Taking iPhone 7 as example. The audio IC problem and no service problem. Apple to this day does not provide free replacement, when it is known as manufacturing defect. Only thing need to be done is soldering audio IC chip. Or when you spoil water, sometime you can clean logic board by using board cleaning solution or ultrasound cleaner along with replacing some damaged chips, you will have functional phone.

Apple is went out of way to make repair harder by creating barriers. There is no logical reason to encrypting camera, there is no logical reason to encrypt battery management chip. There is no reason home bottom stop working after you replace it.

We need right to repair legislation badly.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014

I really don't know why people continue spreading this, when it's not so true. I've had an iFixit battery on my 6s and it always has had that "non genuine" message. Way before Xs. Most likely a "feature" from iOS 11/12, not from Xs.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I really don't know why people continue spreading this, when it's not so true. I've had an iFixit battery on my 6s and it always has had that "non genuine" message. Way before Xs. Most likely a "feature" from iOS 11/12, not from Xs.

Small sample size. I replaced 5 iPhone 7s’ battery, 1 iPhone 6, 2 iPhone 8. No non-genuine message.

Battery brand from Paisue, to perfine, to Yontex to Uowlbear to AMP etc. No non genuine message.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Good for you.

I successfully replaced 6 phone battery several times. But I ruined my 5s that had a lot of sentimental value.
Needless to say my diy repair days are over. I’d want to keep the water resistance rating though so the apples route is the one I’d rather take.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.