Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
Hi folks,

I've just ordered Dell's 5K display and I'm expecting it in the next couple of days.

Has anyone here bought one for use with the riMac 27? Any problems with setup? Are there any adapters I need to pick up?

I know that the riMac 27 supports it since the release of 10.10.3, but I want to make sure I have everything I need to get it up and running without any speed bumps.

Cheers,
Rab

Reactions: rdav

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
but what was your experience, any flickering etc?

It's been fine for the most part. The only negative I've experienced is that occasionally the display won't come on when the riMac wakes up, but attached USB devices will, meaning I have to eject those devices in order to power cycle the display.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
"It's been fine for the most part".

Good to hear. Perhaps macOS Sierra 10.12 will solve some of those lingering issues. I know the size & resolution is the same. But is there much difference between the appearance of the screens; colour, gloss etc?

Also, in your user experience, is the 4Gb GPU of value for an external 5k monitor? Currently considering the iMac M395/M395X. Thou I guess it depends on the Application.

Noltimm

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
Slovenia
For me this is perfekt setup...

I have it from April 2016

image-jpeg.634196

I do not use integrated USB hub. I have some flickering issues from start.

Then I made complete restore MAC OS, turn off Monitor from wall for 30min and then plug in.

Till now everything working without problems. When Mac turn on from sleep it takes cca 3s to turn on Dell.

Same glossy display as iMac. A little color difference (on 100% white and 100% black)... But iMac is around max 10% brighter on max settings!

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I assume the M280 can drive a second 5k display ok. What are the issues with the 280 as everyone on here seems to wail on it a lot. I just bought a second hand base config 5k iMac and I'm upgrading the ram to 32gb and the HD to a 512SSD but its stuck with the M280 still. I don't do any video editing or games so whats issues will I find.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Is the dual displayport method not an option. That guide doesn't go into the specifics of graphic cards. It simply gives iMac late 2014 in most cases.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
Is the dual displayport method not an option. That guide doesn't go into the specifics of graphic cards. It simply gives iMac late 2014 in most cases.

According to [http://mactracker.ca] there were only two GPU options on the iMac/2014/A1419/27"/Retina. The AMD Radeon R9 M290X & AMD Radeon R9 M295X. Thou I'm sure others will correct if this is not accurate.

Curiously, the MacBook-Pro(M370X) seems to have been dropped by Apple from the [Dell UP2715K]/MST supported list for some reason. [ https://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/28/15-mbp-supports-dell-5k-up2715k-display/ ].

Last edited:

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Did you not find the Dell really yellow side-by-side with the iMac 5K? The Dell I had was and also had loads of light bleed on dark screens. I sent it back and the replacement from Dell was the same so I sold it on - I couldn't handle it. Not what I expected given the cost. I did think about looking at the HP but gave up. Now have the iMac 5K + 2 x 27" TBD's for now.

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
The UP2715K runs at 60Hz full resolution using 2 Thunderbolt ports.
[doublepost=1470129828][/doublepost]
Did you not find the Dell really yellow side-by-side with the iMac 5K? The Dell I had was and also had loads of light bleed on dark screens. I sent it back and the replacement from Dell was the same so I sold it on - I couldn't handle it. Not what I expected given the cost. I did think about looking at the HP but gave up. Now have the iMac 5K + 2 x 27" TBD's for now.

I find it to be more red while the iMac display is further into the blue.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I also heard that the Dell monitors suffers from a lot of bleeds toward the edges. Quite bad considering the cost. It seems, despite the iMac screen having flaws, its the best of the bunch.

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I find it to be more red while the iMac display is further into the blue.

Actually you're right about the red. When viewing it appeared warmer and taking photos of it, it looked like this:

npa9L6QI1w.jpg

And the light bleed on blacks was like this:

l0ujy9hHP9.jpg

The replacement Dell sent me was better in terms of the light bleed but the red/yellow ting was something that I couldn't seem to get rid of and didn't look great next to the Apple displays.

j1104638

Suspended
Dec 26, 2015
Hey guys, thank you for your experience.

Could it be that any of you also use Thunderbolt 2 dock along with iMac 27" late 2015 and Dell UP2715K? I'm curious if it's possible to connect the dock directly to iMac and then daisy chain one of the Dell UP2715K's DisplayPorts into the dock?

Will you be able to have both Thunderbolt 2 dock and Dell UP2715K running at 5120x2880@60 Hz at the same time considering Dell wants 2 MiniDP ports and iMac has only 2 Thunderbolt 2/MiniDP?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Everywhere you link, its non-US sites, so I think Europe, its being sold for a huge discount compared to the US

redspear

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Everywhere you link, its non-US sites, so I think Europe, its being sold for a huge discount compared to the US
Too bad it's still very expensive in US. I received mine today, plug it on my mbp and it's awesome! Just waiting to go home to test it & play with Lightroom!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Too bad it's still very expensive in US. I received mine today, plug it on my mbp and it's awesome! Just waiting to go home to test it & play with Lightroom!
Agreed,

Last year when I was getting ready to buy a new computer, I was seriously looking at a Dell (both the desktop and the laptop). Doing the math, it made too much sense to get the 5k iMac for $2,000+ since the Dell monitor alone would run me that much. Plus the advantage the iMac offers is that it can run OS X and Windows, where as the Dell computer would be limited to Windows. I have no regrets, the iMac is a fantastic computer, don't get me wrong.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah, I really want a 5K display for this sort of setup as well. But I'd definitely need to make sure to calibrate it either way, it looks like.

Last year when I was getting ready to buy a new computer, I was seriously looking at a Dell (both the desktop and the laptop). Doing the math, it made too much sense to get the 5k iMac for $2,000+ since the Dell monitor alone would run me that much. Plus the advantage the iMac offers is that it can run OS X and Windows, where as the Dell computer would be limited to Windows. I have no regrets, the iMac is a fantastic computer, don't get me wrong.

Yeup. It becomes a much easier sell once you start looking at the iMac 5K vs other 5K displays. I got the 2013 iMac because I had to get something (2008 Mac Pro just died), and have been trying to hold on on getting a 5K until the GPUs started to catch up. This year is looking pretty good for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.