Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
I’m thinking about getting Ring Doorbell for our home, we still have the traditional wired doorbell and I’m curious to know if the installation process is an easy one. Would it replace the wired doorbell, or would it just be a camera and we’d still use the regular doorbell? I read somewhere that there’s also a subscription as well for recording video. Would love to get one, but would love to hear your opinions about it since it’d be my first time.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I’m thinking about getting Ring Doorbell for our home, we still have the traditional wired doorbell and I’m curious to know if the installation process is an easy one. Would it replace the wired doorbell, or would it just be a camera and we’d still use the regular doorbell? I read somewhere that there’s also a subscription as well for recording video. Would love to get one, but would love to hear your opinions about it since it’d be my first time.
The old commercials are definitely cheesy.

We initially checked with a local security company to have 4 cameras installed with hard drive recording. This quote was $5147 - no security, just the 4 surveillance cameras and hard drive. Way, way too much.

We recently (4 months ago) bought the Ring doorbell and the spotlight cam - both wired in and on WiFi. We also bought the $100 per year subscription which is good for cloud memory recording for as many Ring devices as you have (no Max) at one location.

Both devices work slick. You can make adjustments to the specific area you want it to cover and also how sensitive you want it to pick up motion. You can also do settings per device for notifications and also set timing. Pretty well thought out software and easy to use.

Installation was pretty quick and hooked right up to our current doorbell. When someone rings the doorbell, it rings on the regular chime and also over the phone if you want that.

We might eventually pick up 2 additional spotlight cams but will have to get some wiring done to place them where we want them.

So far these work great. Only one time we had an issue where both disconnected from the WiFi. I reset the WiFi and they both connected back up. Compared to the quote, it would take 40 years of the Ring subscription to get to the quote.

We are fortunate not to have porch bandits in our area but it’s really nice to be able to check the recordings at will. Sometimes we see the mail lady and other times wildlife.

I highly recommend the Ring products but definitely get the ones that are wired in.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
The old commercials are definitely cheesy.

We initially checked with a local security company to have 4 cameras installed with hard drive recording. This quote was $5147 - no security, just the 4 surveillance cameras and hard drive. Way, way too much.

We recently (4 months ago) bought the Ring doorbell and the spotlight cam - both wired in and on WiFi. We also bought the $100 per year subscription which is good for cloud memory recording for as many Ring devices as you have (no Max) at one location.

Both devices work slick. You can make adjustments to the specific area you want it to cover and also how sensitive you want it to pick up motion. You can also do settings per device for notifications and also set timing. Pretty well thought out software and easy to use.

Installation was pretty quick and hooked right up to our current doorbell. When someone rings the doorbell, it rings on the regular chime and also over the phone if you want that.

We might eventually pick up 2 additional spotlight cams but will have to get some wiring done to place them where we want them.

So far these work great. Only one time we had an issue where both disconnected from the WiFi. I reset the WiFi and they both connected back up. Compared to the quote, it would take 40 years of the Ring subscription to get to the quote.

We are fortunate not to have porch bandits in our area but it’s really nice to be able to check the recordings at will. Sometimes we see the mail lady and other times wildlife.

I highly recommend the Ring products but definitely get the ones that are wired in.

Oh wow, thanks for the in depth review. And yeah, that is why I don’t want to go the multi-camera route. While it is useful and great to have, it’s way too expensive, on top of having to buy the cameras too.

So there is a ring doorbell 2, and a regular ring doorbell as well. Which one is the better option?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have the wired Ring Doorbell Pro and I am very happy with it. Since you do have a wired doorbell, make sure you get the wired Rind Pro and not the battery operated Ring Doorbell.

There are a lot of complaints about the battery operated model. Apparently it is a little slow to start recording, so you end up with a recording of the back of the UPS guys head as he walks away. I gather the power saving methods Ring uses cause this.

With the wired version it is always powered on and watching and if it detects motion will go back a couple seconds in time to start recording so you don't miss anything.

The Ring cloud recording is $30 a year and I have been happy with that.

The idea is the Ring device will replace your doorbell button and attach to the existing doorbell wiring that was used by the old button.

The problem I had (I have read a lot of people have this issue) is my existing doorbell DC transformer did not supply enough power to run the Ring, so I had to buy a new transformer that put out more amps. I think it was about $15 at Home Depot. Once I got that figured out, the install was easy.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Reactions: Ntombi and Nhwhazup

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Oh wow, thanks for the in depth review. And yeah, that is why I don’t want to go the multi-camera route. While it is useful and great to have, it’s way too expensive, on top of having to buy the cameras too.

So there is a ring doorbell 2, and a regular ring doorbell as well. Which one is the better option?
Actually, I would go with the Pro as it’s wired. You won’t have to worry about the battery pack. Before the wired Ring one, we bought a no name battery cam off Amazon and it went through batteries like crazy and then, we’d have to go through a re-installation each time we changed the batteries. A real pain.

I can’t speak for the Ring battery operated one, but I’d highly recommend paying more for the Pro as it’s wired right in and will work nicely installed to your current doorbell wiring.

Reactions: Weaselboy

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
I have the wired Ring Doorbell Pro and I am very happy with it. Since you do have a wired doorbell, make sure you get the wired Rind Pro and not the battery operated Ring Doorbell.

There are a lot of complaints about the battery operated model. Apparently it is a little slow to start recording, so you end up with a recording of the back of the UPS guys head as he walks away. I gather the power saving methods Ring uses cause this.

With the wired version it is always powered on and watching and if it detects motion will go back a couple seconds in time to start recording so you don't miss anything.

The Ring cloud recording is $30 a year and I have been happy with that.

The idea is the Ring device will replace your doorbell button and attach to the existing doorbell wiring that was used by the old button.

The problem I had (I have read a lot of people have this issue) is my existing doorbell DC transformer did not supply enough power to run the Ring, so I had to buy a new transformer that put out more amps. I think it was about $15 at Home Depot. Once I got that figured out, the install was easy.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Good to know, thanks for that. The Pro is the more expensive model, right? Is there a way to find out if my current doorbell has enough power to run it beforehand, or do I have to find out once I take it apart?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
AC6AF62E-C036-40E5-8B2C-C7A802EBF13E.jpeg
See tech specs for the Pro.

Reactions: Weaselboy

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
View attachment 811208 See tech specs for the Pro.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated, especially for a noob like me who has no idea how the smart home tech works. I’m a techie but these seem to be another realm. Now stupid question, is there a way to check which transformer my current doorbell has now so I can see if I have the same one?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Good to know, thanks for that. The Pro is the more expensive model, right?

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Doorbel...=1544997816&sr=8-1&keywords=ring+doorbell+pro

Yes... the Pro is $250 on Amazon.

Is there a way to find out if my current doorbell has enough power to run it beforehand, or do I have to find out once I take it apart?

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/a...ent-Power-Issues-with-Ring-Video-Doorbell-Pro

If your existing doorbell transformer is rated at less than 16 volts AC at 20-30 volt-amps, you'll need to upgrade it to a higher voltage to support Ring Pro.

Here you go... (Ninja'd by @Nhwhazup :))

Just look on your transformer and you will see the specs. If you look close on this one you can see 16V 30VA for example.

71Z6zUVFxWL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/NuTone-C907-...227&sr=8-3&keywords=ring+doorbell+transformer

A lot of people use this one from Amazon.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

Omg, I hope they were wearing a ski mask and holding a weapon when giving you that quote. Wow!

Reactions: Ntombi

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

Omg, I hope they were wearing a ski mask and holding a weapon when giving you that quote. Wow!
Seriously, that’s no exaggeration. They came out to the house to determine where they would put the 4 cameras. The actual quote came via email. I was very kind in my response, telling them we would be going with another provider.

Reactions: Gutwrench

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
We have a total mishmash of security. But we have Ring doorbells on both doors. I got the original battery ones, mostly because they can also be wired - which meant there was little difference between the first and second versions, other than the $100 price tag.

We also have 8 cameras connected to a DVR that we can watch from anywhere any time. And then there's the usual ADT monitoring in case a burglar uses a door or a window to get in.

drmikey

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
Check eBay for pricing. I picked up a new-in box Ring Pro for $170 a couple of months ago. It’s been a great product and we use it daily. I checked my current voltage with a multi-meter and didn’t have to change my transformer.

Also, with these products make sure your internet is up to it. I have 2mb upload (minimum recommended) and it hasn’t been a problem. I’ve read if it’s slower than that the feed is choppy as the video goes up to Ring’s servers first.

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
I know this is an old thread but wanted to chime in. No pun intended.

I have the Ring doorbell 2, Spotlight cam wired and stick up cam wired. Really like them and install was very easy. And $100/year for 60 day cloud storage is worth it.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I know this is an old thread but wanted to chime in. No pun intended.

I have the Ring doorbell 2, Spotlight cam wired and stick up cam wired. Really like them and install was very easy. And $100/year for 60 day cloud storage is worth it.
We have the doorbell and spotlight. Both are wired, were easily installed and work super well.

We initially had a local security service come in and do a quote for 4 cameras and a hard drive. $5,000 - totally ridiculous. We can install 4 Ring cameras and pay the 100 per year for cloud storage and would still be ahead money wise for the next 40 years.

Reactions: Lee_Bo

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
We have the doorbell and spotlight. Both are wired, were easily installed and work super well.

We initially had a local security service come in and do a quote for 4 cameras and a hard drive. $5,000 - totally ridiculous. We can install 4 Ring cameras and pay the 100 per year for cloud storage and would still be ahead money wise for the next 40 years.

You got that right. Ring does make security systems. I just priced what ADT priced me several years ago ($3500) for $1140. While I don't have one, I may look into it later.

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
I originally had a Ring Video Doorbell 2 but ended up returning it due to it's spotty WiFi connection despite the router sitting 5 feet away from the device. I switched to a Nest Hello which was on sale for $220 at Target at the time with a free Google Home Mini and haven't regretted it one bit - Easy installation, HQ video and it NEVER disconnects from the WiFi. Plus I can view the video feed on my Mac, iPhone, iPad and even my Apple TV which is great. I also like the facial recognition and the fact that the Google Home Mini will announce who is at the door if someone rings it.

Definitely worth looking into!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It's sad that there aren't any HomeKit compatible doorbell camera yet, although it finally looks like we are getting close.

With iOS 13 rumored to greatly expand security camera features, such as ability to view past recordings (hopefully means it will be saved to iCloud), I am going to wait further.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I just put in a Ring Pro a couple weeks ago. Seems to work super well so far. Idk why, but I really feel like there's going to be an announcement at WWDC that Ring will be supported. Ring is my only non-HomeKit smarthome device, would be great to have it get worked in.

Reactions: Itinj24

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I've had the original and already upgraded to one of their better ones. It's paid for itself in my opinion. It's handy when you're expecting a package and also for notifying me when my cat sneaks out.

Bbeelzebub

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2015
Please, if you get one, for the love of humanity, get the one you can change the default ring sound. (I currently work where I press a lot of those things every day and that is by far the worst sounding door chime in the history of sound.) :p

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Please, if you get one, for the love of humanity, get the one you can change the default ring sound. (I currently work where I press a lot of those things every day and that is by far the worst sounding door chime in the history of sound.) :p

Hahah my next door neighbor has one too and I can hear his freaking doorbell sometimes. I lowered the volume on ours.

Reactions: Bbeelzebub
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.