Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hansokl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Good morning! This may be the wrong forum but just seeing if this has been discussed before.

Does it bother anyone that you can only adjust the volume level when you are inside of an app that has sound? If you do it any other time, it adjusts the ringer level.

This has bothered me for a while and wanted to know everyone's thoughts on this. When starting to watch a video, the volume is blasting and I have to immediately turn it down. I just wish there was a way to adjust this before.

There should be a way to set a default volume or ringer level for different things. Would also be a nice feature if you could set a certain time where volume levels are automatically adjusted. An example would be after like 9pm, switch to 50% volume.

I know this would kill battery life and present some security concerns but what if your microphone briefly listened to the surroundings before any audio played and automatically adjust based on the loudness of your surroundings. An example for this would be you are at a sporting event where you would need to adjust the volume to 100% or if you are lying in bed at night it would automatically adjust to around 30%.

It also bothers me how long the volume meter stays on the screen after you adjust it.

Just wanting to get some thoughts on this but sorry for the long post....

Side note.. Updated my 6+ to ios10 and like it so far. Can't wait until Friday for my 7+ to arrive.

hansokl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Rarely change my ringtone volume so I uncheck settings/sounds/change with buttons.

Prefer the volume bar in YouTube and Instagram. Hopefully they put it systemwide one day.
Not sure how I missed the ability to do that. That's not exactly what I wanted but definitely helps.

Thanks!

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Rarely change my ringtone volume so I uncheck settings/sounds/change with buttons.

Prefer the volume bar in YouTube and Instagram. Hopefully they put it systemwide one day.
Hopefully it will be easier to better control "both" at the same time.. one controller for say facetime and one for the music, or whatever.. instead of 90% less.

Reactions: hansokl

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It COULD be done...proof is the jailbreak tweak "Volume Mixer 2".
IMG_1838.PNG

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Does it bother anyone that you can only adjust the volume level when you are inside of an app that has sound? If you do it any other time, it adjusts the ringer level.

Go into Settings > Sounds > Turn off "Change Ringer Volume with Buttons"

This will lock your ringer volume permanently, from that point forward using the up/down volume buttons will change only the sounds that everything except the ringer provides (apps, alerts, etc.)

BJ

Reactions: hansokl

bheathain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
I have experienced all the same frustrations. Some of the iOS10 betas had an additional bug where the volume buttons would change the Ringer, even when I was in an app for which I was trying to change the volume (usually a game). I ran onto the same workaround as posted above, and I have found that good enough until there are separate toggles. I think separating them out in the control center would make perfect sense.

Good morning! This may be the wrong forum but just seeing if this has been discussed before.

This has bothered me for a while and wanted to know everyone's thoughts on this. When starting to watch a video, the volume is blasting and I have to immediately turn it down. I just wish there was a way to adjust this before.

There should be a way to set a default volume or ringer level for different things. Would also be a nice feature if you could set a certain time where volume levels are automatically adjusted. An example would be after like 9pm, switch to 50% volume.

I know this would kill battery life and present some security concerns but what if your microphone briefly listened to the surroundings before any audio played and automatically adjust based on the loudness of your surroundings. An example for this would be you are at a sporting event where you would need to adjust the volume to 100% or if you are lying in bed at night it would automatically adjust to around 30%.

It also bothers me how long the volume meter stays on the screen after you adjust it.

Just wanting to get some thoughts on this but sorry for the long post....

Side note.. Updated my 6+ to ios10 and like it so far. Can't wait until Friday for my 7+ to arrive.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
You can change ringer volume through the VOL + and - buttons when not playing media, or through the settings app.

You can change media volume at any time through Control Centre volume slider.

hokiemas

macrumors member
May 26, 2015
I really can't think of any reason that I would want to lower the volume of my ringer. If I'm in a meeting or something, I don't want the phone to ring at all. I put it in silent mode and just let it vibrate. If it's going to ring so that I can hear it after I turn the volume down, then other people can hear it, which pretty much makes turning the volume down in the first place pointless.

This is why I like the watch. There's no way I can miss a call. Even with the phone and watch on silent, I will feel my wrist being tapped and can see who is calling me without interrupting a meeting or a class I'm giving with the phone ringing.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Go into Settings > Sounds > Turn off "Change Ringer Volume with Buttons"

This will lock your ringer volume permanently, from that point forward using the up/down volume buttons will change only the sounds that everything except the ringer provides (apps, alerts, etc.)

BJ

Question, how do you then change the ringer volume?

Is the only way through settings -> volume -> ringer? If you have “Change Ringer Volume with Buttons” option off.

Thanks

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Question, how do you then change the ringer volume?

Is the only way through settings -> volume -> ringer? If you have “Change Ringer Volume with Buttons” option off.

Thanks

Yes, that's right.

Ringer volume only gets changed within Settings that way, and that frees up the up/down buttons to only control the volume of media that's playing so there's no confusion between the two.

I've had it set this way for years. I find that there's a comfortable ringer volume that I never need to adjust (around 80% for me) and so I never think about it. Up/down buttons are then only for media volume, and the silence switch is for muting the ring entirely or vibration, done.

Reactions: Pravda

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Yes, that's right.

Ringer volume only gets changed within Settings that way, and that frees up the up/down buttons to only control the volume of media that's playing so there's no confusion between the two.

I've had it set this way for years. I find that there's a comfortable ringer volume that I never need to adjust (around 80% for me) and so I never think about it. Up/down buttons are then only for media volume, and the silence switch is for muting the ring entirely or vibration, done.

Thought there might be a shortcut trick.
Thank you for your response.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Thought there might be a shortcut trick.
Thank you for your response.

Thing is, you don't need a shortcut trick. Pick your ringtone volume, set it once, and never think about it again.

From that moment forward, the volume up/down buttons make sense and the mute toggle can quiet your phone or put it in vibrate mode, it's really all that's necessary.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Thing is, you don't need a shortcut trick. Pick your ringtone volume, set it once, and never think about it again.

From that moment forward, the volume up/down buttons make sense and the mute toggle can quiet your phone or put it in vibrate mode, it's really all that's necessary.

Definitely makes sense, i just need to find a happy medium of ring volume so i can hear it when iPhone is in my pants, jacket or at home.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.