Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
On my iPhone 7 Plus, the ringer sounds the ringtone even with the switch flipped to silent. This happens consistently, and restarting hasn't solved the issue.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
On my iPhone 7 Plus, the ringer sounds the ringtone even with the switch flipped to silent. This happens consistently, and restarting hasn't solved the issue.
Is it only for calls, or other notifications as well? Does this happen for any and all calls (or perhaps some particular ones from certain people)?

There's a new setting in iOS 10 to allow emergency bypass for contacts (needs to be enabled on a per-contact basis as I recall) which allows the ringer to be used for those contacts even if the phone is set to silent/vibrate and/or DND.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Is it only for calls, or other notification as well? Does this happen for any and all calls (or perhaps some particular ones from certain people)?

There's a new setting in iOS 10 to allow emergency bypass for contacts (needs to be enabled on a per-contact basis as I recall) which allows the ringer to be used for those contacts even if the phone is set to silent/vibrate and/or DND.

Yeah, it turns out that I had emergency bypass turned on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.