Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bvz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
About a year ago I switched to an iPhone after always having used android. There have been pros and cons to the switch, but generally I’m content enough not to switch back.

One issue that has stymied me for this whole time has been not being able to hear the ringer when the phone is not set to silent mode. My phone is set to silent for about 98% of its life, but those few times I want to hear the ringer, I still seem to miss the calls. I would mash down on the volume buttons to max out the ringer but it never seemed to help much (but suddenly YouTube would play very loudly). I’d be annoyed but then switch back to silent and forget until the next time I tried to raise the volume, miss my call anyway, and then get an earful of my next video.

Turns out, the volume buttons don’t control the ringer volume. So for this whole year I’ve only been adjusting my media volume. D’oh!

If you come from Android this runs counter to what you are used to. Luckily you can change this behavior. Go to settings, sound and haptics. There you can manually change the ringer volume. But more importantly you can set it so that the volume buttons change the ringer volume by flicking a switch. With this set iOS behaves (a little) more like Android and if you don’t have media playing, the buttons adjust the ringer volume, and if you do have media playing, they adjust the media. Unfortunately it doesn’t give you the ability to adjust both but this gets you closer.

Hopefully this is of some use to other switchers out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.