Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obelix55BC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2023
London, UK
I have four HomePods, all named, very sadly, after Star Wars droids. One of these HomePods is called R2-D2. It is one of the original HomePods. This morning, when trying to use it, it would not work. It has completely died. I have tried turning it on and off again, but no lights are flickering on it and it cannot be found on the home app. I have looked at various troubleshooting articles to see if I can get it going but as yet no joy. I think it is dead. I would welcome any suggestions on being able to resurrect it.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Just to rule everything out, have you tried a different electrical outlet? I had a HomePod Mini that I thought was dead but it turned out the USB extension cable I was using went bad. I almost discarded a perfectly working HomePod Mini.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
try holding your unlocked phone next to it, see if you get a pop up on the phone screen. I've had software updates erase the wifi settings (which would cause it to not show in home app)

you could try resetting the HomePod. (unplug for 10 sec, plug in, wait 10 sec, then hold finger on top) Siri should announce that it's about to reset. (link below for full info)

I've got an original HomePod, the display has stopped lighting up, but otherwise it works great. So don't let the no screen problem discourage you just yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.