Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
My first ever OG HomePod, bought new when it was released, did the dreaded plus and minus flashing tonite.

From what I’ve read there is no coming back from this, logic board failure?

It was part of a pair and it’s former partner will now go on alone for the time being.

I tried resetting it several times without success. So now it sits unplugged.

As it’s 5.5 years old I won’t even bother calling Apple. Nor will I get a replacement.

When it’s partner eventually dies I’ll replace it with something else, perhaps a Sonos.

Sad day.

• Sad
Reactions: ibri

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
Update: so after Nic’s initial response, he hasn’t responded to any of my emails since Friday. TBH it’s making me a little leery to even spend the cost of shipping of sending my bricked HomePod out to him to repair it. Yes he only quoted $100 plus return shipping but, and call me old fashioned, but I like it when people are a bit more communicative. I may hold off and put that money towards whatever sales I get over the holidays.

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
Ghosted by Nic. I’m not sending my HomePod to someone who doesn’t respond to emails.

Will wait for the holidays at this point and either get new homepods or I might go towards a Sonos beam gen 2.

• Sad
Reactions: Queen6

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
No stake in the outcome here… but it is the weekend in the US. You might want to reserve judgement until several days into the coming working week.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
No stake in the outcome here… but it is the weekend in the US. You might want to reserve judgement until several days into the coming working week.
Very true and valid. Yet, doesn’t take but a second to respond to an email.

I’m still going to move on to either new HomePods (have a pair in my media room and love them) or perhaps Sonos for the bedroom. We shall see.

Reactions: Bigwaff

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
Yup. Totally ghosted by Nic. I am very glad I didn’t blindly send it in if this is how he communicates.

All good. Farewell dear HomePod. It’s been a good run.

Onto something else come holiday time!

SchilPhiller

Suspended
Aug 29, 2023
5 years seems kind of short. Aren't there people with iPod Hi-Fi's still getting use from them today? I presumed the HomePods would be much the same, working for basic functionality for much longer than anybody would need.

Did you use it 'heavily'?

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
5 years seems kind of short. Aren't there people with iPod Hi-Fi's still getting use from them today? I presumed the HomePods would be much the same, working for basic functionality for much longer than anybody would need.

Not, it would seem. the OG HomePod. I honestly used them quite seldomly.

• Sad
Reactions: SchilPhiller

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
That's quite sad. Have you considered a new model? The full size one
I know, very sad. I have a pair of new HomePods in my media room. The OG were semi-retired in my bedroom. One of the OG remains in service but I will not use it much and decide what to get closer to the holidays. Might get another paid of 2nd gen HomePods, might see what Sonos is all about.

SchilPhiller

Suspended
Aug 29, 2023
I know, very sad. I have a pair of new HomePods in my media room. The OG were semi-retired in my bedroom. One of the OG remains in service but I will not use it much and decide what to get closer to the holidays. Might get another paid of 2nd gen HomePods, might see what Sonos is all about.
From what I can gather, Sonos is the next best thing for incredible sound, and incredibly smart/useful assistant like stuff. The only real thing you'd lose is Apple integration (bad) but gain a better assistant than Siri. Then again, the 'shift up/down' indicator on my car is more intelligent and useful than Siri... sadly

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
From what I can gather, Sonos is the next best thing for incredible sound, and incredibly smart/useful assistant like stuff. The only real thing you'd lose is Apple integration (bad) but gain a better assistant than Siri. Then again, the 'shift up/down' indicator on my car is more intelligent and useful than Siri... sadly
I'll see what Black Friday deals can be had on a beam gen 2, which I hear decent things about. I like the idea that I can add to it over time with a sub and surrounds if I wanted to. I like having that option.

I have a sonos ray in my kitchen and am most impressed with it.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA

Mine is going strong with an iPod Classic 5G and AirPort Express for AirPlay. But my OG HomePod pair in the same room sounds better. I just like the look of the Classic Combo from the time of Steve.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
One of my first generation HomePods died this week. It’s been sitting mostly idle in a cool room out of any direct sunlight. Sometime this week it showed as unavailable in the Home app and doesn’t display any lights when powered on.

I don’t have an urgent need to replace it, but it gives me pause for buying future HomePods or any Apple device that can’t enroll in perpetual AppleCare.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
This thread scares me. I use a pair of my OG HomePods all the time as the sound system for the TV in my bedroom. It sure blows away the sound from the TV and really makes movies come to life.

skottles

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2023
My first ever OG HomePod, bought new when it was released, did the dreaded plus and minus flashing tonite.

From what I’ve read there is no coming back from this, logic board failure?

It was part of a pair and it’s former partner will now go on alone for the time being.

I tried resetting it several times without success. So now it sits unplugged.

As it’s 5.5 years old I won’t even bother calling Apple. Nor will I get a replacement.

When it’s partner eventually dies I’ll replace it with something else, perhaps a Sonos.

Sad day.
Was this paired to an appletv by any chance? I had mine bricked the same way when it updated to os17.

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
May 16, 2023

Sad day.
From what I can gather, Sonos is the next best thing for incredible sound
Ok. Having owned both brands (still using OG Homepods :cool: ), and heard most of Sonos' range, I'd say that if you really want to upgrade in terms of actual sound quality, then don't bother with Sonos. Style over substance. I'm quite fussy about sound, and have a nice hi-fi for 'proper' listening. I have yet to hear a Sonos product that isn't disappointing. I've owned a Beam (Gen 1), and it was poor. Given that the Gen 2 is likely pretty much the same thing, but with added marketing, I'd spend the extra £100 and get two Homepods instead. Far better sound. The Beam is limited by tiny speaker driver units, so will never produce sound with any real depth. Even with a subwoofer, you still get that problem common to such set ups, which is a 'hole' in the middle of the sound. Having compared much of the Sonos range with my OG Homepods, I would say the HP is the better option, end of. The voice assistant stuff works as well as I need it to; I don't spend my days trying to have a conversation with a machine.

To genuinely upgrade sound quality, then instead look at a 'proper' hi-fi set up; amplifier, decent speakers. You can improve on any Sonos (and the Homepods) for the same money, £500-600 , and even more so if you go second hand. Things like subwoofers only really start to make sense if you want a really 'big' sound, with very powerful amps, in a larger listening environment. Otherwise you can end up with way too much muddy sounding noise. Well designed speakers can separate the nuances in the music, and let you hear he different components much more clearly. Subwoofers when used with small 'satellite' speakers can end up fighting against the other sounds.

I'm more than happy with my Homepods for small room/casual listening. The best small wireless speakers, ime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.