Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MitchVegas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
i am using Mac the ripper to make back ups of my dvds. The output folder is a VOB file and when i try to drag the Video_ts folder to popcorn it tells me it is unsupported. Am I doing something wrong when I rip the dvd? I know on my pc it broke the folders up into a video_ts folder and an audio_ts folder and then I could just burn it as a data disc.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

thanks

MitchVegas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
I am not sure, Will handbrake create a dvd that i could play on my dvd player?

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
When I rip with MactheRipper it creates a Video_TS, and Audio_TS file. I then go to Toast, which I assume is similar to Popcorn, under the DVD is a option for Video_TS. When I select that I then get the option to select the Video_TS I had ripped. This then starts the burning process. Looking at the Popcorn screenshots it looks like it has the same options.

MitchVegas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
does it rip to the audio_ts and video_ts folders by default? Cause on mine it is only creating a video_ts folder. any thoughts on how to fix this?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
will disk utility - and create image not work ?

if i want to copy a cd/dvd i'd create a disk image of the dvd/cd and then select it and then burn

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You don't need the AUDIO_TS folder, it's there for the DVD-Audio format, which no one uses. On commercial movie DVD's, it's empty anyway.

Before you burn the VIDEO_TS directory to disk, take the above poster's advice. You should first "burn" it to an ISO image, then copy that ISO image (as a data copy) to your dvd.

Many newer DVD's have forms of copy protection that populate the VIDEO_TS directory with junk files, which,for whatever reason, makes Toast gag. Creating and ISO image "container" for the VIDEO_TS directory pacifies the burning process and allows you make backups of your movies.

For creating the ISO image, I use Dragon Burn (you could probably do the same thing in disk utility or Toast, but I find Dragon Burn works better). I then transfer that ISO image to DVD with Toast.

Just to make sure this isn't all moot, what version of MTR are you using? If you're still on 2.66, then you'll need to upgrade to the latest version. 2.66 is known not to work with newer DVDs.

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
will disk utility - and create image not work ?

if i want to copy a cd/dvd i'd create a disk image of the dvd/cd and then select it and then burn

I never really thought about using Disk Utility to burn DVDs/CDs. If a user can do that, is it possible to copy Blu-Ray discs as well?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
I never really thought about using Disk Utility to burn DVDs/CDs. If a user can do that, is it possible to copy Blu-Ray discs as well?

dunno about blu but i've created a backup copy of home DVD's and my restore DVD's and then copied them over to external HDD and burnt a copy.

MitchVegas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
yeah i am pretty sure its MTR 2.66. In the Video_ts folder there is just one big VOB file. I thought i should just be able to drag the Video_ts folder into popcorn and have it fit to one disc. But for some reason its still not working

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
How current is the movie you are trying to burn? Like mentioned above, MTR 2.66 will rip older movies, anything current you will need MTR 3.0 which is available with a donation.

The message you are getting from Popcorn indicates it still has the copy protection on it.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Here is the folder and files that were created when I ripped the Black Crowes in concert DVD.

Attachments

• bc.jpg
    bc.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 92

MitchVegas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
yeah i just purchased 30days of night and i like to make a backup copy. and i am pretty sure i am using 2.66

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Not commercial disks, not on the Mac, no. Blu-Ray encompasses a vast expansion of DRM policies and mechanisms. Because of this, MTR's developer(s) has no plans to support Blu-Ray.

However, in Windows, SlySoft's AnyDVD HD will do this for you.

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Eh, I put in No Country for Old Men [ Blu-Ray ] and my Alu iMac never read it. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.