Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Sadly with 1GB it'll just crash and burn.

The game eats VRAM like no one's business. It actually seems that the game might have a small memory leak as the game can become a horrible stuttery mess even on graphics cards like the GTX 980 or AMD Fury X which have 4GB GDDR5 and HBM 4GB respectively.

I've seen people post numbers as high as 8GB of graphics memory being used. :(

That can only mean one thing: huge textures (well, and memory leak as well, indeed). I remember Shadow of Mordor for PC has an option for HD textures as well, but even this requires gpu with 6gb VRAM.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
RotTR runs buttery smooth at 1080p and high settings on my new notebook, which has an 8 GB GTX 980M.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
My laptop has 24gb ddr4 ram, ssd drives an 2.7 i7 and (the weakest link) 2gb nvidia 965m card. Do you think I can get away with high settings on 1080P?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Will be released on Jan 28

http://store.steampowered.com/app/391220/

$60 US, $70CND.

Here is system requirement:

Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD equivalent
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 650 2GB or AMD HD7770 2GB
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 25 GB available space

Don't need to pay that much. In Windows, set your location to Ukraine, and then you can buy it for just $9 US on the Windows store. When it ask for your credit card info, you can still use your current credit card, but location must be Ukraine.

A rumor said that there will be an DirectX 12 version coming. I am waiting for that. So far, I only play the trial on my XB1, and it's very good.

P.S. I don't know if it's legal to set another location. Difference country have different law. If's that illegal in your country, please don't do it, and please ignore my post.

Jon Wenzel

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
The game will be released on Steam some time this month. I seriously thought of getting an XBOX for this game, but now I'm thinking of getting a gaming PC!

I hope this game actually has tomb levels with decent puzzles just like the original series.

Oh it does...its probably in the top 5 best games I've ever played.

Reactions: e93to

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Been playing this on the xbox this week. It's basically identical to the previous Tomb Raider. A nice enough game, but as I only played the last one less than a year ago I'm getting huge deja vu from this.

I think I preferred the setting of the previous one. The snow and blizzards in this are a bit miserable.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I prefer the warm weather as well (because her costume) :p
I ditched the winter gear immediately and put her in the skimpiest thing they have available, and she's constantly shivering, soaked in freezing water, close to hypothermia. It's really depressing.

Just found an implausible warm 'thermal valley' so she'll have a chance to dry out a bit.

Reactions: Marshall73

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
This suddenly came to my attention... Can Macs on sale today with the exception of 27" Retina iMac and Mac Pro run RotTR at decent settings?

Maybe either Feral either has to tone the graphics down a bit, or they will have to wait for new Mac hardware.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I've just read a thread about Overwatch https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...why-no-os-x-overwatch.1958695/#post-22617316(. Now I really do believe Mac computers' hardwares and Metal API can make porting games designed for new-gen consoles difficult. Unless the ports are scaled-down versions that limit graphical settings (or making games exclusive to 27" Retina iMac or Mac Pro), I won't be surprised if we finally start to see Mac ports for RotTR, Fallout 4, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, etc. after a couple of years. By that that time, Mac computers hardware (ie. Intel integrated GPU) should become more powerful and capable to run games at decent settings

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
I've just read a thread about Overwatch https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...why-no-os-x-overwatch.1958695/#post-22617316(. Now I really do believe Mac computers' hardwares and Metal API can make porting games designed for new-gen consoles difficult. Unless the ports are scaled-down versions that limit graphical settings (or making games exclusive to 27" Retina iMac or Mac Pro), I won't be surprised if we finally start to see Mac ports for RotTR, Fallout 4, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, etc. after a couple of years. By that that time, Mac computers hardware (ie. Intel integrated GPU) should become more powerful and capable to run games at decent settings

Not quite sure if you read that thread or not. Metal/OS X lacks far too many 'standard' tools more and more games are using to even be useable. Not to mention, OS X vs. Hardware is a big upward battle.

Maybe in a few more years, a Mac port will be made out of pity for these then former AAA games, but I doubt even then they'd be ported. RotTR is possible out of the list...

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Not quite sure if you read that thread or not. Metal/OS X lacks far too many 'standard' tools more and more games are using to even be useable. Not to mention, OS X vs. Hardware is a big upward battle.

Maybe in a few more years, a Mac port will be made out of pity for these then former AAA games, but I doubt even then they'd be ported. RotTR is possible out of the list...

Yeah, I read the thread from the bottom, so I could have only found what I wanted to see lol

On a broader scope, I really have to ask: will there be a game developed exclusively for Macs? If a certain company were to develop a game from ground up to take full advantage of OSX, Metal, etc, will it be as good as games released on current consoles in terms of graphics/presentation?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
On a broader scope, I really have to ask: will there be a game developed exclusively for Macs? If a certain company were to develop a game from ground up to take full advantage of OSX, Metal, etc, will it be as good as games released on current consoles in terms of graphics/presentation?
The question of profitability aside, no, such a OS X exclusive game would not be on par with current console or Windows games. Apple's graphics APIs are just too far behind for that.

Reactions: saturnotaku

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013

Unless Apple heavily subsidized development costs, this will never happen. The last AAA-quality title that would have had a chance to be Mac exclusive (that I can remember at least) was the original Halo. Had that actually come to fruition, the Mac gaming landscape would look a heck of a lot different than it does now.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Unless Apple heavily subsidized development costs, this will never happen. The last AAA-quality title that would have had a chance to be Mac exclusive (that I can remember at least) was the original Halo. Had that actually come to fruition, the Mac gaming landscape would look a heck of a lot different than it does now.

It was a great mac release, nevertheless, as far as I can remember. It played and looked pretty good, back then.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
It was a great mac release, nevertheless, as far as I can remember. It played and looked pretty good, back then.

Macsoft did a solid job with the port, which came out less than 3 months after the Windows release. I bought a copy of the game with my Mac Mini G4 back in 2005.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The DX12 DLL is already there, seems like just waiting for the final update, then we can play this game in DX12. My dual 7950 is waiting for it :D

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Feral announced this for Linux. No Mac version - guess current Macs and OS X just can't handle it?

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Feral announced this for Linux. No Mac version - guess current Macs and OS X just can't handle it?

If you look at system requirement, you'll notice only 27" retina iMac, Mac Pro and top of the line 15" MBP meet the minimum requirements... I bet 95% of the Macs in the wild can't run the game.

The games designed for new-gen consoles could bring Mac gaming to a halt for awhile... Until Mac hardware update catches up with the requirements, we won't see many ports of newer games.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
If you read a bit more thoroughly, you might notice that you missed a very important detail…

They announced Tomb Raider for Linux, i.e. the one we already have for Mac, not Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.