Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
hi guys. Are there risks to connecting to carplay while test driving cars? I am shopping for a car and plan to try a few carplay equipped cars. Does the car retain some personal information from my phone?

Also, is it as easy as just plugging the phone in or is there some pairing process like bluetooth? This would be a car my wife and i would share and i wonder if we could just plug in and connect to carplay, regardless of the iphone previously used.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
No, ALL info is on your iPhone. Just delete it from the cars' CarPlay menu. Connecting by BT is another matter though. This will download your info (Contacts, etc) to the car.

Reactions: Tofupunch

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Also, is it as easy as just plugging the phone in or is there some pairing process like bluetooth? This would be a car my wife and i would share and i wonder if we could just plug in and connect to carplay, regardless of the iphone previously used.
There's no pairing process. Just plug in your phone.

My wife and I share the car. Being a nerd, I usually plug in my phone if we're together. If she's alone, she can plug in her phone. There's no memory of which phone was used last.

I vaguely remember being asked permission to connect the first time I used carplay. If that's true, I've never been asked anything since.

Reactions: Tofupunch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.