Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I'm having a bizarre issue with my rMB, every now and then it doesn't recognize external drives, whether it's a flash drive, hard drive or an optical drive. It does this with both my USB-C hub (https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Female-Charger-Adapter-Chromebook/dp/B01BSJVY7Y) and my USB-C adapters (https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Rank...&qid=1470191811&sr=8-5&keywords=usb-c+adapter), and the only way to totally fix it is to do a restart (and of course it wears off after a while). Is anyone else having the same issue?

EDIT: Updating to Sierra totally resolved this problem, I've been on Sierra for a week as of this edit and my external drives get recognized every single time as they should be. Glad that Apple squashed this bug flat.

Last edited:

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
You're on OS X 10.11.3 or 10.11.4, correct? This is a bug introduced in 10.11.3 and fixed in 10.11.6. Update your OS X install and it will go away.

It drove me crazy.

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
Is it after sleep? My experience with the bug (a different bug, I guess) was that after eject the USB drive would not re-mount without a reboot. For me that experience has ended.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Is it after sleep? My experience with the bug (a different bug, I guess) was that after eject the USB drive would not re-mount without a reboot. For me that experience has ended.

Same thing here. And the 'experience' is still here, only rebooting helps.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
This is odd, when I tried plugging in one of my external drives through a USB 3 cable my rMB wouldn't recognize it, but when I tried the same drive with a USB 2 cable it worked fine (albeit at a slower speed of course). Hmmm...

Reactions: grahamperrin

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I'm having a bizarre issue with my rMB, every now and then it doesn't recognize external drives, whether it's a flash drive, hard drive or an optical drive. It does this with both my USB-C hub (https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Female-Charger-Adapter-Chromebook/dp/B01BSJVY7Y) and my USB-C adapters (https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Rank...&qid=1470191811&sr=8-5&keywords=usb-c+adapter), and the only way to totally fix it is to do a restart (and of course it wears off after a while). Is anyone else having the same issue?

Yeesh. If you wanted to use external drives so much, should have gotten a MacBook Pro. ;):p

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
external drives,

Please, which makes and models?

Have you tried a new cable and if so, what was the brand?

If a drive is limited to USB 2.0, then that may be a factor. 2.0 is sometimes described as not ideal for storage.

(I'm seeking reliable information about 3.0 and C.)

///M5

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
I'm in the same boat here. I use the dell USB-C hub and, in order to make it work, I have to restart the Macbook every morning. Otherwise it only recognizes the screen, all other USB devices are not recognized.

Pretty annoying to say the least. Mine is the latest Macbook, top specs, and latest OS.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
Same here.
USB 3.0 not recognized. No problems with USB 2.0 drives or other USB devices. My Elgato eye TV usb stick works fine when connected with Anker usb3.0 to USB-C adapter.

I use an USB-C data cable for my HDD (seagate), not an adapter. Still doesn't work.

cursedearth

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
My rMB has never had a problem recognising USB drives or any other USB devices. However, every now and then it fails to detect my WD 500 GB HDD. A restart is the only solution.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
For me, the previously seeded build usually failed to automatically mount some or all of the non-startup volumes that are on the same disk as the startup volume. Hard disk drive, USB 2.0.

With the currently seeded build, I have not noticed that problem.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Build 16A294a of pre-release macOS Sierra

A recurrence of the problem.

HFS Plus startup volume (encrypted with Core Storage), three other HFS Plus volumes (without Core Storage) on the same disk.

The operating system failed to automatically mount one of those three.

No coincidental hogging of the CPU.

If the MacBookPro8,2 is compatible with HDAT2 on UBCD, I might perform a thorough check of the disk. I expect that check to take a few days.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
This is odd, when I tried plugging in one of my external drives through a USB 3 cable my rMB wouldn't recognize it, but when I tried the same drive with a USB 2 cable it worked fine (albeit at a slower speed of course). Hmmm...

Thanks. I tried this and it works for me as well.
It is not how it should be but it is a relatively nice workaround in some cases where I just need to check my external HDD or want some smal files without having to reboot my rMB.

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
@ApolloBoy if you like, edit the subject line/title of your opening post to show that the topic is resolved.

(Not the Edit button. There's an unlabelled cog icon.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.