Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Road trip preference using CarPlay: Apple Maps or Google Maps?

• Apple Maps

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Google Maps

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
We'll be driving from Southern California to West Yellowstone, MT and back. I like the interface of Apple Maps and traditionally use it day to day, but prefer the historical data of Google Maps (and other features like 'add stop'). Which maps app would you use with CarPlay and why?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
google will allow you to download maps to the phone, so if you're say in the middle of a forest or something, and have no signal, you'll still be able to at least see where you are on a map. You won't be able to start new directions without service, but a drive you are already on will continue.

make sure you also download some of your Spotify or Apple Music playlists ahead of time too.

there will be a lot of areas of no signal

I typically use Waze when I drive (not often, live in NYC, so only when I'm on a trip) but I'll make sure I've got maps download to google if I'm going to be out in the boonies.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
google will allow you to download maps to the phone, so if you're say in the middle of a forest or something, and have no signal, you'll still be able to at least see where you are on a map. You won't be able to start new directions without service, but a drive you are already on will continue.

make sure you also download some of your Spotify or Apple Music playlists ahead of time too.

there will be a lot of areas of no signal

I typically use Waze when I drive (not often, live in NYC, so only when I'm on a trip) but I'll make sure I've got maps download to google if I'm going to be out in the boonies.
So if you start navigation with Apple Maps and then lose reception, what happens to the route? Do you lose it?
With Google Maps, if I've downloaded a map, I can't start a route without reception?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it looks like google now has offline route planning, but it's missing a few things compared to when it's connected
You can get driving directions offline, but not transit, bicycling, or walking directions. In your driving directions, you won't have traffic info, alternate routes, or lane guidance.

I believe for any of the services, when you start new directions it will pull the entire route, and at least basic maps for the entire thing. so even if you loose cell service en route, you'll at least be able to follow that original path and make it to your destination. But if the app crashes or quits when you're in a no-service area, you'll be sad. Also, if you stop navigation it might clear the route and downloaded info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.