Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
One of my family members needs a Rollator to walk a great distance. Does anyone know of any recommendations of good ones ?

I know ask the doctor. It is not that easy always. I would bring them to a shop that sold them but we really do not have any nearby :( If so they are like 1,800 miles away.

Prefer having real life experience instead from maybe at least one person. If not no big deal. At least I tried.

The most important thing is it stays still when the person goes to sit on it without it moving/sliding away.

If you have no idea what it is here a general image:

Rollator.jpg

Also if anyone knows of a better forum for this topic just say. Thanks. Talking about somewhere else.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
One of my family members needs a Rollator to walk a great distance. Does anyone know of any recommendations of good ones ?

I know ask the doctor. It is not that easy always. I would bring them to a shop that sold them but we really do not have any nearby :( If so they are like 1,800 miles away.

Prefer having real life experience instead from maybe at least one person. If not no big deal. At least I tried.

The most important thing is it stays still when the person goes to sit on it without it moving/sliding away.

If you have no idea what it is here a general image:

View attachment 2361240

Also if anyone knows of a better forum for this topic just say. Thanks. Talking about somewhere else.
We are currently trying different options. My dad has trouble walking, so he has a walker that can either have 4 legs or 2 rollers and 2 legs. His speed increased dramatically when we added the wheels.

We also have a small wheel wheelchair similar to your picture above, but that really only works on flat smooth ground. We got another that is a stand stroller, but also is not good on rough terrain, so at the end of the day we sometimes need to get a regular wheelchair.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
We are currently trying different options. My dad has trouble walking, so he has a walker that can either have 4 legs or 2 rollers and 2 legs. His speed increased dramatically when we added the wheels.

We also have a small wheel wheelchair similar to your picture above, but that really only works on flat smooth ground. We got another that is a stand stroller, but also is not good on rough terrain, so at the end of the day we sometimes need to get a regular wheelchair.

Where did you buy them ? Just asking. Is there a good source/retailer dedicated to just helping get the right product too for I guess you could call medical equipment

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Where did you buy them ? Just asking. Is there a good source/retailer dedicated to just helping get the right product too for I guess you could call medical equipment
The walker we bought new, the wheeled walker and small wheeled wheelchair we bought used. When they are still in decent shape, it's usually a bit depressing.

We've looked locally and online, and try to get something that will work well for our particular situation.

We had a wheelchair before for my grandma, but it wasn't really in usable shape before my dad needed it.

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I bought one for my Mum a couple of years ago. Tricky things to buy, the person you're buying for often doesn't want it and can be difficult to get then to focus on it or make decisions. I spent weeks on the internet and gave up in the end – I then took her (actually dragged her kicking and screaming) to a local mobility shop with a big range of them and we went through just about every one they had. (Sounds like you can't do this though). We took just about all of them on test drives and sat on them and folded them etc etc

We ended buying one of these:

image.png

It's a Mobilex Leopard Aluminium Rollator.

It's been brilliant, my mum now loves it. Apparently now, it was the best idea she's had :rolleyes:

Light, easy to collapse, a good seat and good brakes. Not the the cheapest or smallest you can get, although even the smaller ones seem to have pretty much the same width in use - but for someone who's infirm flimsy isn't good in my opinion. Folded goes in a decent car boot - but can also slide in behind the front seats if the boot is an issue.

If something happened to it we'd just replace it with the same one.

Reactions: bousozoku

Lynnvdb

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
I like the rollators of byACRE very much. They are a bit more expensive than the usual ones, but the comfort is very high. The design is also very nice, which makes it more pleasant to walk with.

Attachments

• CA2B83~1.JPG
    CA2B83~1.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 15

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Thank you everyone.

Sadly the therapist does not recommend rollators at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.