Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I first described this series as excellent in the TV thread, part enactments and part documentary, with ample nudity :):), and historians commenting on events periodically. Although the acting is adequate for TV, History Channel standards, what I like is that this is or at least I assumed this is accurate history along with the acknowledgement that dialogs in a show like this are fictitious, more or less they must be.

Watching Season 1- Commodus, the same Commodus portrayed in the Gladiator (2000). The series starts in Germania with Marcus Aurelius (121- 180AD) teaching his son Commodus how to be a warrior and military leader. On the Germanic Frontier, the old man died of Antonine Plague that knocked the Roman Empire back on it’s heals, although some sources suspect that he may have been murdered by his son. After Aurelius dies, Commodus says to hell with this decade+ long war, signs a treaty with the Germanic Tribes and heads for Rome as Emperor.

Spoiler Highlights of this season:
  • Commodus take over for his father and ends the war with the Germanic tribes.
  • The Senate screws with him by announcing a gift to the army in their name.
  • Comodus counters by having games and tax the senate to pay for it.
  • His sister with at least one Senator try to assassinate Commodus.
  • This attempt failed, and Commodus in return has his sister sent into exile and then quietly has her killed.
  • His best friend in on the assassination attempt, kills Comodus’s other best friend so he can be number one, manages Rome for Commodus and engineers a grain shortage.
  • His wife fails to deliver him a son, and she is exiled to Cypress (I think Cyoress).
  • In a second set of games Commodus fights in the Colosseum to prove himself as worthy to the people, on several occasions, but he cheats.
  • He disbands the Senate.
  • Narcissus, a real Gladiator/wrestler assassinates Commodus.
Most of this was verified by Academics, although they have been characterized as second rate by one forum member. :)

I do like the comparison to the movie Gladiator (2000). The writers of the screenplay did some research, but the movie Gladiator is best described as a collage. If you watched Gladiator there is no Spaniard General, and no snuffing the old man with a pillow, although some scholars suspect Commodus of killing his Father.

However in real life there was a gladiator/wrestler name Narcissus who could be the equivalent of Maximus, assassinates Commodus after Commodus’s slave mistress poisons him. And in Gladiator, his sister did plot against him, Commodus did cheat while fighting in the Colosseum in both portrayals, but in this series they either had dull blades, his adversaries submitted to him because he was emperor, and according to one of the articles below, he allowed them to live.

Interesting Reading:

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I definitely must watch it as I am studying Roman history (and Stoicism, hence Marcus Aurelius is quite important).
The problem with Commodus is that we don't really have reliable sources. Romans used to... change historical records and to either deify who they liked and vilify who they disliked (by "they" it is meant the ruling class, be either the senate or the nobles or the equestrian or the emperor or whoever held more power at the moment). It seems that they went their lengths to put both Commodus and Nero in a very, very bad light.

Reactions: Huntn

Geepaw

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2021
This sounds intriguing. I think I give it a whirl as time permits. I am currently getting through Burn Notice episodes so something more intellectually or historically interesting might fit the bill.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.