Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Ok I'm probably being really thick here, but if there a watch face with Roman numerals on? it seems strange that that is missing.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Not I've noticed. I wish there was a little more customisation available with watch faces.

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
I'm sure future updates will include additional faces, and possibly 3rd party faces to download from the app store?

Ant

Last edited:

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
custom watch faces are what made the pebble so popular, so I hope there is the chance of these being available eventually. On the other hand...some of the pebble ones were proper fugly!!

To start with Apple should perhaps supply a template that can be used with limited options for customisation. Numbers/characters, background etc

this would give everyone a chance to examine the effect on battery life etc

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
There are small things I like on the faces of my watch, which I can't get even though it's digital, so I know the feeling.

Bring on iOS 9 and Watch OS 2 with surprises, Apple!

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
There's someone in the 'Show off your watch' thread who somehow has done this, unless it's fake?
roman-face-jpg.557573

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
What version of Roman number is that? 1,5 & 10 all=I It looks like all I with some at a slight angle.
How do you even get Roman numerals to show on the watch? I can't see that option anywhere, and I can only show standard numbers on all my watch faces

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Looking at the picture again even the font seems different, it looks like Times New Roman.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Actually guys, if you zoom in, you'll see that the X and the V's aren't captured well in the photo, as it appears half of them is a much finer line. Only the \ appears to be visible.

And, my ex had a clock that had 4 represented as IIII. We always laughed every time we looked at it (kept thinking we should have her daughter repaint that portion of the face and fix it) :)

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
They obviously don't know Roman Numerals then. I would be worried about wether it would keep accurate time if they can't even get the basics right.

It's not about basics. Google for yourself and you'll see there are lots of watch faces with IIII for IV etc. For some manufacturers it's a question of design whether you like it or not.

EDIT: On top, there is actually a historical background to this. The Romans used IIII themselves for particular reasons.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Actually guys, if you zoom in, you'll see that the X and the V's aren't captured well in the photo, as it appears half of them is a much finer line. Only the \ appears to be visible.
Still doesn't answer the question about how the hell you actually get Roman numerals to show! I feel I've been through every setting on the watch (and watch app) 15 times and it's driving me mad!

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Still doesn't answer the question about how the hell you actually get Roman numerals to show! I feel I've been through every setting on the watch (and watch app) 15 times and it's driving me mad!
Heh, did anyone ask them? :) Maybe they're an Apple employee and they're running an early build of 1.1 (and seriously messed up by posting that watch face)?

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Heh, did anyone ask them? :) Maybe they're an Apple employee and they're running an early build of 1.1 (and seriously messed up by posting that watch face)?
I've asked (as have many others!) on the 'Show off your watch' thread, hasn't replied as yet...

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
The reply was that it was the "Utility" watch face.

Edit: Post #3144 on that thread.
Yeah I saw that. That's the face I use but can only get actual numbers to appear, and the font is the standard apple font - not Times New Roman.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Screen capture the utility face, edit on PC, show on watch from the photos app and capture a photo. It looks like a watch face in action but its just a photo of a photo on a watch. (my guess)

Reactions: Arran

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Ashamed to say I don't have my watch yet (so I can't try this myself). If you're customizing the Utility face, if you do another force touch on the number, does it allow you to change the font for the number? (maybe that's how he got it?)

Also wondering if this is a delta between 1.0 and 1.0.1? Anyone not update yet that could verify?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Ashamed to say I don't have my watch yet (so I can't try this myself). If you're customizing the Utility face, if you do another force touch on the number, does it allow you to change the font for the number? (maybe that's how he got it?)

Also wondering if this is a delta between 1.0 and 1.0.1? Anyone not update yet that could verify?

No, another force touch will take you back to the selection of watch faces. All face options are selected/changed via the digital crown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.