Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It sounds like usability is kind of being used more in a sense of usefulness there. They are related but not the same thing. And when it comes to usefulness it's kind of different for everyone, so having more somewhat random stuff doesn't always make it better for everyone. In fact more random potentially useful things that differ and create disjointed user experience can even decrease overall usability for various groups of users.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
This is the home screen on my Galaxy S4. I've been tweaking it on and off over the past year, until I got it to be exactly the way I want it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
:D:D:D:D:D:D
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a waste of time to get it 'just right' and iPhone users were actually 'using' the phone this past year !

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
A year and it still looks an awful mess of stuff!! I must be missing something with widgets as i really dont see the need for them.

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Yuck, if that's the best they could come up with after a full year, I'd hate to see what it looked like before. I'll stick with my jailbreak or even a stock iOS.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Here's an excellent example of highly useful features missing from iPhone.

I for one, would be very happy to see Apple bring iOS up to the standard Google has set with Android.

http://www.zdnet.com/this-single-sc...years-behind-android-in-usability-7000029521/

There are 2 major differences between iOS and Android:

- How the desktop is implemented:

iOS keeps every app you have installed on your device on its desktop (Springboard). I would imagine Apple did it this way so users don't have trouble finding apps.

Android took more of a Windows approach. They have a concept of Start > programs (appdrawer) and you can pick and choose which icons are displayed on the desktop.

- Widgets

Android has the following type of Widgets:

- On/off toggle. (Wifi, Bluetooth, Flashlight etc)

- Informational window (Facebook, calendar, time, e-mails). These give you a quick glance at information without having to launch an app. Unfortunately, if the refresh is set too low on any of these widgets you are always looking at old data or if it's set too frequent your battery takes a hit.

Android users always describe their phones like a Swiss Army knife:

"It has this, it has that, I can do this and I can do that" but yet they only use the main blade most of the time.

This author is way too obsessed with his home lights :rolleyes:

I would only want widgets in iOS if Apple can do it properly without impacting battery life.

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Here's an excellent example of highly useful features missing from iPhone.

I for one, would be very happy to see Apple bring iOS up to the standard Google has set with Android.

http://www.zdnet.com/this-single-sc...years-behind-android-in-usability-7000029521/

I don't see anything great in that screenshot. I wouldn't do most of it even if I had the option to do it on iOS. These are all subjective. For me, a proper widget support would be the only thing worth adding there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.