Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yosi199

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
I know it's the most "good boy" question here, but I'm wondering what are some useful workflow overcoming that rooting a device can do, I'll try to explain by example - Can it be used to work with some different file managers to better handle files around iOS? things like that that can enhance the everyday workflow

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Rooting is for Android and Jailbreaking is for iOS. While similar, there is no 'rooting' for the end user in iOS.

Jailbreaking can allow the installation of a file manager. But if you go mucking around in the system you can screw things up and force a restore. That means losing your jailbreak.

There are plenty of JB tweaks and apps that modify the system or let you do things not normally possible. Better to use those than try to mess around with the file system.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Rooting is for Android and Jailbreaking is for iOS. While similar, there is no 'rooting' for the end user in iOS.

Rooting only means becoming a ‘superuser’ in a unix environment; gaining full priviledges on the highest level.

Jailbreaking circumvents the Apple security measures, which allow full root acces, many jb apps use root access to modify system files/behaviour, but there is also root access for the end user; either directly on an iOS device via a terminal app or via a terminal app on a external device via a network connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.