Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattdgr8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2021
In an eternal abyss
I've been using the Macbook Pro M1 for about a month now. It came with Big Sur installed already. (apparently) I've already been using Intel based applications so Rosetta should be installed, although I dont recall ever seeing the dialogue to download it. Long story short, friend came by and executed "/usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta" on terminal and he apparently installed rosetta?

I don't know if it was never installed in the first place (unlikely since I've been using intel-based apps just fine) or did it duplicate the install? And if it's the latter, does that make me prone to bugs or would it take unnecessary storage space?

Thanks guys

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
You may have inadvertently created a blue hole. It's like a black hole but instead of sucking everything in that crosses its Schwarzschild radius it only sucks in cash from nearby wallets and turns it into massive amounts of unneccessary heat. Blue holes can be easily observed in the infrared spectrum so for the sake of humanity and all mankind you may want to inspect your M1 Pro with an infrared camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.