Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaftSkunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
I had installed Lion in a 50 GB partition and I wanted to remove it. I opened disk utility and erased the partition but couldn't reclaim it. The disk utility was not merging that partition with the main partition. Since I was already planning to do a fresh OS (Snow Leopard) installation, I thought I will use the disk utility from the OS DISC and format the entire hard drive. However, when the disk utility recognized the 750 GB Western Digital hard drive, it showed only 698 GB instead of something close to 750 GB. I went ahead and installed snow leopard, checked through the OS disk utility and it was the same. I tried mroogle, no luck yet. I also tried using Drive Genius and iPartition but so far haven't been able to find any trace of the rogue partition.

I have backed up all my data and don't mind giving a shot with any suggestions.

Please help, thanks in advance...

Update: I tried doing a fresh install again and this time when I opened the Disk Utility through the OS DISC (Snow Leopard), it work fine and recognized the entire 750 GB...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.