Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
My Mac is behind a router along with another computer and I have websharing enabled on the Mac. I have no problem re-routing the http requests to the Mac, but each time I turn the Mac off, its IP changes and I have to reset the router settings?

Is there a way around this? Can get static IPs behind the router or link to the Mac as a sub-domain of the routers IP?

Cheers

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
it depends on who makes the router...

try setting a the IP on the mac using "dhcp with manual address"

then you will use something out of the dhcp range. (ie) if the dhcp range is 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.199, use an address like 192.168.0.2

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Can you set your router to have your Mac's IP set to the public IP? On my router, it gives me the option to set "DMZ Mode" for a computer. This sets my computer's IP to the public IP the router gets. That way, all traffic is directed to my mac. Thats how I get websharing to work.

mnkeybsness's suggestion sounds good too. I might try that first to see if it works with your setup.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Set IP manually

mnkeybsness is right. You are better off setting the IP manually of the mac to be in the valid DHCP range. Typically either 192.168.0.XXX or 192.168.1.XXX where XXX is between 0-255.

I wouldn't use DMZ unless you have rock solid software firewalls in place. DMZ will route ALL requests to the client assigned, which could pose a security risk.

I set my IP manually on my client machines with IPs like 192.168.1.XXX and use port forwarding as needed to route, say, all http requests to that machine. I use a Linksys wireless router.

If you should need name server and other network information, you should be able to get this from your router's control panel.

You could probably get more detailed information if you post the make/model of your router.

Good luck.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
It's a Linksys BEFSR41...

I tried setting my comp to a DHCP with manual IP but then I get no network connection... Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help guys...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.