Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2020
Hi

I have an iPro and an (admittedly quite old) mixing desk which is connected to speakers and has a headphone out. The desk has a USB input. I‘ve had no problem with plugging my M1 Mac Mini into the desk and routing audio to the desk and then out via either the speakers or headphones.

Yesterday I bought the Apple USB-C to USB adapter but when I connect it to the desk, the audio just plays though the iPad speakers and the iPad doesn’t seem to detect the desk.

Any advice? Do I need a different adapter? Or is this an iPad OS limitation?

DaniTheFox

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
Hi

I have an iPro and an (admittedly quite old) mixing desk which is connected to speakers and has a headphone out. The desk has a USB input. I‘ve had no problem with plugging my M1 Mac Mini into the desk and routing audio to the desk and then out via either the speakers or headphones.

Yesterday I bought the Apple USB-C to USB adapter but when I connect it to the desk, the audio just plays though the iPad speakers and the iPad doesn’t seem to detect the desk.

Any advice? Do I need a different adapter? Or is this an iPad OS limitation?
I am trying to give you some information. I don't know what a mixer desk is, but I think it converts a digital signal over USB to an analogue signal, mixes it with other signals and you can adjust the volume and tone of it. (Please give more details about this).
I have several "audio interfaces" connected to my M1 iPad Pro via USB-C (Apogee Symphony Desktop and DUET 3) at my two workplaces. Not in parallel, but I will get to that later.
They both have a USB-C connector, so no special adapter is needed. And as audio is only USB 2, all USB-C cable will work. They are approved (USB Class 1) to work with iPadOS (and also iOS on my iPhone 15 Pro) from Apogee Digital.
So if I plug them in directly, no problem. But when I have a Thundebold Dock (HP TB G2, OWC TB Dock) inbetween they have an USB audio interface in themself. So I have to make sure that I connect my audio interfaces as the last one. Because this is „the“ problem with iPadOS (and iOS), it always takes the last USB audio interface connected. And you cannot change that like under MacOS. You can only switch between Bluetooth devices (multiple), AirPlay (multiple) and one USB device. (Swipe down from the right top corner or in Apple Music)
I think I made a feature request in beta iPadOS 16, but iPadOS 17 is no better in this respect.
If this information helps, I do not know. But if your mixer on MacOS needs special software like my Universal Audio Apollo interfaces, it will not work on iPadOS (and iOS). But it could also be a cable/adapter thing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.