Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
I have purchased a copy...

Needs a little refinement, as it is missing some major tweaking.

1. Cannot compress a DVD-Video with ROM data, strips VIDEO_TS only )
2. Cannot manually adjust bit rates / capacity.
3. Cannot select segements to adjust compression on ( tracks )
4. Cannot opt to delete certain types of video ( trailers ).

I will stick with DVDReMaster and DVD Copy.

The QA on this 1.0 product is much better than any other Roxio product I have seen in a While. Popcorn 1.0 only crashes somewhat regularly.

Max.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I've never had Popcorn crash and the compression quality has been very good. I can't really compare it to similar products since I've not used any of them, but I have been pleased with Roxio Popcorn so far. For a 1.0 release, it's quite solid.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
TranceClubMusic said:
Has anyone used this program yet?
Is it similar to DVDRemaster?

I bought Toast and Jam and have been spammed many times by Roxio about Popcorn to me it just looks like DVD2oneX with out the features, I'll stick to MacTheRipper and DVD2oneX I think.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
risc said:
I bought Toast and Jam and have been spammed many times by Roxio about Popcorn to me it just looks like DVD2oneX with out the features, I'll stick to MacTheRipper and DVD2oneX I think.

If you've already got DVD2OneX there is no reason for you to switch to Popcorn. However, Popcorn is worth a look if you are considering a first time purchase of a DVD compression app. Apart from a few issues with subtitles it is a very solid first release and at a very reasonable price.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I haven't used any other programs, but I am happy with Popcorn. I did not have Toast (nor did I have a reason to get Toast) and it was cheaper to get Popcorn only rather than DVD2OneX and Toast to do the same thing.

My only complaint is that you are limited to "Main Feature Only" or a complete copy of the DVD. I wish I could select what extra features, audio tracks, etc. that I could copy.

It has never crashed for me and works great to backup the DVDs I have. Although I have only used it about 10 times so far.

krysant

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2005
I also purchased Popcorn recently. It's very easy to use BUT the copied movie sometimes skips or jumps. I used the cheap media and a good one as well. Same results. When I burn a main feature only so no compression needed, the results are good so far.
Is this a compression problem? Anyone experiences the same thing (jumping frames when burning a large data)?
It is hard for me to determine why the movie jumps because for some movies, the result is good, and for some others, not good. I won't know the results till I actually burn and see it...

danmanmtl

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
Montreal
popcorn

I found that my copies were skipping too in the beginning , but I have solved this problem by turning off the screen saver and all energy savers while i'm working the program and the copies have been flawless since then. Don't know if this is a true fix but it worked for me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.