Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Hello,

I am developing a server which will aggregate, categorize and associate entries from RSS feeds around the world. I am also developing an RSS application which will

1) Consult my server to get a generic, non-personalized feed of things that may be of interest (that is only in the home page). The sources of those entries are always clearly mentioned, of course.
2) Give the ability to users to add their own feed to track.

Regardless of the viability of this app (this thing has been done before, I know) I would really like some clarifications on Apple's policy for RSS reader applications, from developers who may have more experience than me with these things.

Apple states:

-- Apps that are simply web clippings, content aggregators, or a collection of links, may be rejected
-- Apps may not use protected third party material such as trademarks, copyrights, patents or violate 3rd party terms of use. Authorization to use such material must be provided upon request

Apple also asks whether your application uses 3rd party content in your application, which is, in the case of RSS readers (and in my case), a 'Yes". Since RSS feeds that I use are open to the general public by the sites who have them, do we need special permission from RSS sites that we consult?

I am very worried about Apple's part on this app. Do I have chances to pass through Apple's review, or should I abandon the project completely, since it may never see the light of day?

I would appreciate any relevant information, or any suggestion on how to make the business model more "apple-review-friendly".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.