Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Just moved up from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 and my old standby RSS reader (Reader version 1) is crashing repeatedly.

I use Reader 2 on the iMac and Mr Reader on the iPad.

Looking for any good RSS reader (paid is fine) that work with feedbin and take full advantage of the larger screen.

Looks like Reader 2 hasn't been updated in a month and the guy's Twitter feed is silent.

Thanks!

E

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just moved up from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 and my old standby RSS reader (Reader version 1) is crashing repeatedly.

I use Reader 2 on the iMac and Mr Reader on the iPad.

Looking for any good RSS reader (paid is fine) that work with feedbin and take full advantage of the larger screen.

Looks like Reader 2 hasn't been updated in a month and the guy's Twitter feed is silent.

I think Feedbin sync is going to really limit your options. I use Newsify on iPhone 6 and it works well, but with Feedly (no Feedbin sync), and Mr. Reader on the iPad.

I searched Feedbin in the iTunes store and it does not look like a lot of readers support it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If you don't mind a little more work, you can save your websites to your shared links page and have it double as a RSS reader of sorts (credit to Macstories for the tip). However, the problem is that you can't really filter them by site, so it's really more of a really long twitter feed, and can get cluttered very quickly.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
I think Feedbin sync is going to really limit your options. I use Newsify on iPhone 6 and it works well, but with Feedly (no Feedbin sync), and Mr. Reader on the iPad.

I searched Feedbin in the iTunes store and it does not look like a lot of readers support it.

Yah. After the Google Reader fiasco, I wanted a premium/paid-for RSS platform thinking it would be more stable over the long term.

----------

If anyone with an iPhone 6 can report that Reader 2 is working for them (and that Evernote integration works) I'll be thrilled

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Reeder works fine, text just looks ridiculously large even at the smallest setting. I would love to use something that's optimized but I love the Reeder interface too much. I use Feedbin too.

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Until Reeder 2 gets updated I'm using Newsify. I like that Newsify is quite configurable (including fonts and font sizes which was driving me bonkers with Reeder 2 on my ip6+).

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Newsify is the best in my opinion. But the app isn't updated yet to support the new resolutions.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Reeder 2 FTW

Thanks everyone!

Downloaded Reeder 2 and am thrilled with it.

Same interface I have always liked. Loads without issues. And Evernote integration is fine.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Reeder looks horrendous on my 4.7" iPhone 6, and I imagine it's even worse on 5'5" iPhone Plus.

I hope either Reeder or Unread release 'largescreen-optimized' updates soon.. It does seem like neither of these developers are in great rush to provide these updates.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
If you don't mind a little more work, you can save your websites to your shared links page and have it double as a RSS reader of sorts (credit to Macstories for the tip). However, the problem is that you can't really filter them by site, so it's really more of a really long twitter feed, and can get cluttered very quickly.

I think this is perhaps bigger news than it seems at first glance, as it marks a return of RSS to Apple products. Here is the link to MacStories:

http://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-8-changed-how-i-work-on-my-iphone-and-ipad/

A.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Newsify fan here. Not yet optimized for the bigger screens, but you can adjust the font sizes to account for this to a point.

According to the developer's twitter account, they submitted an update with iPhone 6/6+ support on September 29th, so hopefully Apple will approve it any day now.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Another vote for Newsify (via Feedly). And I like Feedly (via Safari) on my Mac.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

...Newssify is good HOWEVER, the backgorund sync option is broken for me as it just does not work on my iPhone in iOS 8 (has never worked on iOS 8, 8.0.2, 8.1 or 8.1.1). It worked perfectly on my iPhone 5.

I also get quite a number of 'SSL errors' (whatever they are :confused:) when it tries to sync - so much so that I am gonna change from Newssify - had enough of all the errors all the time.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
...Newssify is good HOWEVER, the backgorund sync option is broken for me as it just does not work on my iPhone in iOS 8 (has never worked on iOS 8, 8.0.2, 8.1 or 8.1.1). It worked perfectly on my iPhone 5.

I also get quite a number of 'SSL errors' (whatever they are :confused:) when it tries to sync - so much so that I am gonna change from Newssify - had enough of all the errors all the time.

I don't use background sync so can't comment on that, but I have never once seen the SSL error you mentioned. Are you syncing with Feedly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.