Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2021
France
Hello,

At the moment, I'm using NetNewsWire as RSS reader.
It's a nice one, but their are some few things I'd like to have :
  • synchronizing with iOS/macOS NetNewsWire through iCloud <= hard to find what you have already marked as read... And a "read it later" for reading an article later on the mac could be nice
  • filter with keyword <= hide article talking about sport for a few days could really be nice to have
  • show only title in list of article <= it's showing the beginning of article too if title is too short
  • autohide of feeds list (today article, unread, name of website...) <= in horizontal mode, there are 3 columns (feeds list, articles of the selected list, and article)
Which one are you using ?

Best regards

Reactions: mainemini

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I use News Explorer (One time fee). It is fast and sync across all your Mac devices. Excellent layout as well. I like 'as read when scrolling' option as well.

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2021
France
I use News Explorer (One time fee). It is fast and sync across all your Mac devices. Excellent layout as well. I like 'as read when scrolling' option as well.

It's seems nice.
They haven't any update since January, could they are making a new version for this year ?

Is-it better than "Reeder 5" which is one time free too ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It's seems nice.
They haven't any update since January, could they are making a new version for this year ?

Is-it better than "Reeder 5" which is one time free too ?
I used Reeder before switching. In my opinion, New Explorer is more polished and works better with my preferences.

As to updates, I don't know why there hasn't been one since January. The developer (also a forum member) has a history of providing timely updates. I am not concerned at the moment.

Reactions: max2 and ecatomb

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Feedly. Sync across devices (but not via iCloud), and if understanding correctly, does sorta hide feeds list (slides out of the way). Does title view, but shows a bit of the article like NetNewsWire.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Feedly. Sync across devices (but not via iCloud), and if understanding correctly, does sorta hide feeds list (slides out of the way). Does title view, but shows a bit of the article like NetNewsWire.
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 5.43.32 AM.png

Yeah... I use Feedly's mute filters to hide things I don't want to see. Here is a list of some things I filter from article titles. I think you need to pay for Feedly premium to use this feature though OP.

Sixth Street

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
Newsbite is a little known iCloud or local only reader with a ton of features. It doesn't have a macOS app yet but does all the other things you are looking for. It is subscription based though. Only $8/yr and if you already subscribe to iCloud it's a good deal IMO. The dev is also very responsive to feedback.

There are two Newsbite RSS apps in the store. The one I'm referring to is the one with the grey icon with the semi-circles.

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2021
France
NetNewsWire just got a big update, you can use iCloud in order to synchronise ?
But still no filter in order to hide some articles ...

View attachment 1794415

Yeah... I use Feedly's mute filters to hide things I don't want to see. Here is a list of some things I filter from article titles. I think you need to pay for Feedly premium to use this feature though OP.
Don't see Feedly Premium on their website, only the Pro one... And its price is ?
If it's through the app store, how much is-it ?

Newsbite is a little known iCloud or local only reader with a ton of features. It doesn't have a macOS app yet but does all the other things you are looking for. It is subscription based though. Only $8/yr and if you already subscribe to iCloud it's a good deal IMO. The dev is also very responsive to feedback.

There are two Newsbite RSS apps in the store. The one I'm referring to is the one with the grey icon with the semi-circles.
It seems to have everything I'm looking for : sync, using rule in order to hide article
But it is only for iOS and iPadOS, nothing for the mac, isn't it ?

So maybe I will try these ones :
• News Explorer
• Newsbite

Reactions: jive turkey

Sixth Street

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
Newsbite doesn't have a Mac app. The dev said it's on the roadmap but no timetable. You can install the iPad app on M1 Macs and it works fine.

Reactions: ecatomb

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2021
France
Newsbite doesn't have a Mac app. The dev said it's on the roadmap but no timetable. You can install the iPad app on M1 Macs and it works fine.
I haven't a mac M1 ?

I tested it few hours, it's really nice : can see only title, can hide article with a keyword in title (or with another rule), etc... I think it have (nearly) everything I want.
But it's hard to use it when I used NetNewsWire for a long time... NetNewsWire have less things, but it make it way easier to use

Sixth Street

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
No arguments there. NNW is simple and clean. Version 5 on iOS is an awesome reader and the macOS version is just as good.

fastmax

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
NetNewsWire is definitely the way to go since it is free and works great on the Mac and iPad/iPhone. It was also updated a while ago to allow syncing your subscribed feeds and article read/unread status over iCloud.

Reactions: jive turkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.