Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhimbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
I'm trying to use rsync on macOS 10.15.5 to do a "local" backup, that is, to an external disk, thus no network involved.

I do "dry runs" using the "-n" (--dry-run) option and "-v" to see the list of files that would be transferred. When I specify --exclude or --include on the command line it works. But if I use the --include-from=FILE and --exclude-from=FILE command line options there is no effect.

These options are listed on the rsync man page on my Mac. I have tried with the minimal test set, that is, only one entry in the files contains the include and exclude patterns.

I do not get any error messages. The result is simply the same as if no include or exclude patterns were specified.

rhimbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
It seems that the semantics of the "filter patterns" in the FILE supplied to the --include-from and the --exclude-from command line options use shell syntax, not the "filter" syntax indicated in the man page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.