Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I have been considering picking up a laptop with a rtx chip in it. A couple weeks ago they released laptops with the 2070 super max q. I have been waiting for the super version of the rtx mobile chips for a couple of weeks now and it’s finally here. I wanted to know if anyone has seen benchmarks with these chips yet. Here is an example https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Stealth-10SFS-037-i7-10750H-Win10PRO/dp/B085B3F89M

i am making this thread to ask everyone’s opinion how well this would be for 4K photoshop editing and minimum 300 dpi at this size. I can’t afford a Mac Pro so it’s either this laptop or possibly a windows desktop.

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
Unless you need to be able to travel with your machine, build a desktop instead. Much less potential heartache, much more versatile and a lot cheaper.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Unless you need to be able to travel with your machine, build a desktop instead. Much less potential heartache, much more versatile and a lot cheaper.

the machine will be stationary for work so a laptop is not really required. I appreciate the feedback maybe I will look into a desktop. I just had in my head laptop would be a lighter piece of hardware if I moved.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Don’t buy a laptop if you don’t need one. There are also options to build smaller PCs. They don’t have to be gigantic in size anymore.
If you like the idea of many cores: get a Ryzen. They are amazing value and have fantastic performance. I have a not very high end Ryzen 3600 and it’s fantastic.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I’ll throw my vote in for using a desktop if you don’t need portability at all. I love laptops but they’re a terrible valuable comparatively; you’ll get a faster, quieter, longer lasting machine that’s repairable and fully modular. A modern Ryzen and RTX card like a 2070 will be fantastic for the work you’d like to do.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'll offer some dissenting perspectives. I find that a laptop provides a high level of freedom, and flexibility and while I'll not deny the fact that you can get more computer for your money if you opt for a desktop, a laptop can do things that cannot be done with a desktop (mobility wise).

Perhaps, its due to the fact that I do need a measure of mobility, but I feel more comfortable about a laptop then a desktop

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I appreciate everyones thoughts on the matter. I want to be sure before I spend the money. I have been looking at mitx projects and have seen some nice compromises between laptop and desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.