Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
My statements were made in sarcasm.
Microsoft had to outsource production, they don't actually have any of their own hardware. ;)
(unless you count their newly formed chip division)

I was merely pointing out the fact that Microsoft for the most part(99.99%) is a software company not a hardware company.
They'll support any hardware that will help increase a products availability.(like windows supporting Blu-Ray drives)

Sony,
The goal was 6 million and they shipped 5.5, thats not bad at all.
(considering the $600/PS3 price tag)
Oh and btw - worldwide software shipments for the PS3 were 13.2 million.
Considering consumers only have 3.1 million, thats a decent attachment rate, that will only improve as better games get released.

I think the anomoly in your analogy is this:
Gamecube price dropped in half, but that was from 199.99 to 99.99. It was already within reach to most consumers.
If PS3 saw a similar cut(half = 599.99 to 299.99.), we would see sales skyrocket.

Their losses were similar(respectively) for the PS2 launch.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
are you claiming we will not see any software or any software that would merit purchase? :rolleyes:
Never a dull moment with you, eh Jimmi? :p

SN
- David Jaffe will be forming his own studio focusing on downloadable content. SCEA involved in two downloadable titles with the new studio.
- Relay (Sony Online Entertainment in partnership with Factor5) is an online MMO, the game is based in a Western styled sci-fi universe. The game has some strategy elements. Likened to both Advance Wars and Halo Wars. 15 second trailer and no dates given.
- "the next" Syphon Filter game could be a PSN game based around DLC with a Blu Ray release at the end.
- Stardust HD
- Nucleuz likened to Blast Factor
- Vegas Poker
- Top down arcade shooter. [untitled] Compared to Capcom's 1942
- Arcade base shooter [untitled] Compared to Metal Slug meets
- Loco Roco not shown
- We will see some user generated stuff suprises!

PS3
- Uncharted by Naughty Dog Game of the show: confirmed
- Lair by Factor5, playable demo coming to PSN in June, August release. Exceptional frame rate now.
- Eye of Judgement by SCE Japan, shown. Works with PlayStation Eye peripheral (also shown)
- Ratchet and Clank Future by Insomniac, looking fantastic but has some frame issues. less than 30 fps: confirmed
- Heavenly Sword by Ninja Theory. Looking fantastic.
- Sony has over 40 PlayStation 3 games in development at present, this number is for retail games. To be shown later in the year.
- Eight Days to be based on episodic content. Each day is an episode- potential Blu Ray release at the end. Sony's experiment with DLC to deliver a game sooner rather than later.
- SlantSixGames working on something. Follow that lead.
- The most succesful PSN games wlil be featured on Blu Ray compilations.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Gamecube price dropped in half, but that was from 199.99 to 99.99. It was already within reach to most consumers.
If PS3 saw a similar cut(half = 599.99 to 299.99.), we would see sales skyrocket.

Their losses were similar(respectively) for the PS2 launch.

Well, that just makes it worse. Considering that the PS3 is very unlikely to have a price cut in half anytime soon, it's unlikely to overtake GameCube sales.

And AFAIK, the PS3's losses are much higher than the PS2's. The XBox took a $100 loss per system, and failed to recover that, and the PS2's loss was less. PS3 is taking a >$200 loss per system last I heard.

A good quote I found:
- The PS3 costs twice as much as the PS2 did at launch
- The PS2 launched a year ahead of the Gamecube and Xbox. The PS3 launched a year AFTER the xbox 360 and 2 days before the Wii.
- Sony had exclusive contracts with third party developers who helped build the original Playstation's success. Said developers have gone multi-platform.

I'd predict that the PS3 is going to finish third place and lose a lot of third party support this time around, barring a sudden catastrophic drop in sales of one of the competing systems. It may not fail, but it's not beating either competitor. Not in profitability, and not in marketshare, and not in exclusives.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
lol, is this a thing with Sony fanboys online? They always talk about upcoming and potential. *sigh* fair play if you want to buy an expensive machine that will probably see many price cuts before the first good game comes out for it. I bought a game system to play games now. 6 months in and we're dry. well, not me on my 360, DS and Wii :)

Praxis, I agree. PS3 is almost certainly going to finish last this time. I honestly don't know why they gunned for the most powerful, most expensive systems in each market. It didn't work that way with their PS1 and 2, and never did in the past. Regardless if a minority of people want media centre-based consoles. No games, no glory!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
lol, is this a thing with Sony fanboys online? They always talk about upcoming and potential.

To be fair, both Wii and 360 fanboys have to talk about upcoming quite a lot. If you go ask a Wii fanboy what games are must buys, they'll just say "Zelda, and the good stuff is coming in the Fall". The 360 has a few more good titles, but most 360 fanboys will tell you "Halo 3 is coming this fall!"

But the PS3 hasn't really shown anything remotely close to Sony's claimed 'potential'. The PS2 didn't either, you might recall. Anyone remember how the PS2 was supposed to have AIM? Evolve into a PC? Toy Story-like graphics? The Linux kit?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
True, all systems have upcoming games. Thing is the Wii already has Wii Sports, TP (still highest rated current gen game) and Paper Mario and all that brain training stuff in Japan. 360 already has a plethora of games, albeit nothing as drool inducing as Halo 3. But the libraries are there. They all have dry patches. But 6 months after launch? After the PS3 had been delayed numerous times already?

On topic though, BlueRay rumous was debunked. Thread should have ended, but it didn't! At least the topic title should have changed at this stage.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
That would have been a bit of backpedaling on MS if it has been true no? It seemed a little early to do this kind of move but whats another add on? HD-DVD, the power brick and chuck on a Blu-ray for good measure....sheesh!

But would Sony have liked this or not? It would be good because it makes the PS3 look of better value, and also because it would help give Blu-ray more market share but at the same time it also adds another reason for 360 owners to not buy a PS3.

And Jimmi, I thought ratings meant nothing?...after all Obilvion got huge ratings ;)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
So over here, on topic! ;)

I don't think MS will release Blue-Ray add on yet...I know they have talked about it, but then the person who said stuff got yelled at, so he took back his statment.

Basicly, yes I can see MS going this, if their consumer base wants it. MS has proved HD disk aren't super imporatant for them, and since niether format is used by the Xbox 360 for games, MS isn't really going to lose anything.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA

Investors don't seem to be buying into the same negative media BS you guys are.....

Yes, every console launch cost them money, this is widely known.....they lose money on hardware(until costs go down) and make it up in software.
Ironically, somethign micrsoft could learn from, they are spending money on cheap hardware to make a quick profit to help stop the bleeding. IT seems to have cost them more than it was initially worth.

Of course with expensive accessories(HD DVD and possibly BD), they are reducing the effects of initially using cheap hardware.
Hell, even nintedno is sellign their controller(As a whole) at a higher price than sony.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
Personally I think this would be great news if it turns out true.

Think about it, a lot of the PS3 complaints are about being forced to "buy into" Blu-ray even if all they want to do is game, it's a high premium for little more then lowering the chances of a multi-disc game.

But it's not because everyone necessarily hates Blu-ray or loves HD-DVD, for the most part I think people are impartial at this point.

Having a Blu-ray addon for 360 could just make people all the more likely to buy a 360. Knowing that regardless of which format wins (if indeed one of them does).

The "Blu-ray" card of the PS3 would essentially be lost. People couldn't really be pushed over the edge toward PS3 just on account of Blu-ray, they would know they could purchase a 360 and then choose either HD format when they decide they want to buy into one of the formats.

So, I hope this is all true, it would be good for 360 all around... and I don't think it sounds the death of HD-DVD, just brings consumers even more options (choice).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.