Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Id buy that. We have two Nexus 7's in our house , none of which is mine and i thought 8" would be perfect. 8.5" even. Always said they wasted a lot of space on the front of the N7.....dont know why they went to 8.9" but ill check it out and see if it is a good size.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I agree. I think it's a really good size for compromise. It will probably be similar in size to the Kindle Fire 8.9 tablet. I suspect the resolution will probably fall in line with the HDX series. The rumor also says no Qualcomm this time and they may go with Intel instead.

The other interesting tidbit is that it will be built by HTC and not ASUS. Can we get our hopes up that they may ditch plastic and go with an aluminum case like the HTC M8? :)

sequoiamac

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
We have 3 of 2nd generation Nexus 7 in this house and they're not mine either. I think they are one of the best Android based tablets around. They are pretty fast and runs the latest Android Kit Kat. It's lot cheaper than buying 3 iPads. Got them on sale for $179 each. ;-)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
We have 3 of 2nd generation Nexus 7 in this house and they're not mine either. I think they are one of the best Android based tablets around. They are pretty fast and runs the latest Android Kit Kat. It's lot cheaper than buying 3 iPads. Got them on sale for $179 each. ;-)

Yes I agree that vanilla android devices is the way to go. There's a level of smoothness to android when OS customization and bloatware are not present in Android.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I agree. I think it's a really good size for compromise. It will probably be similar in size to the Kindle Fire 8.9 tablet. I suspect the resolution will probably fall in line with the HDX series. The rumor also says no Qualcomm this time and they may go with Intel instead.

The other interesting tidbit is that it will be built by HTC and not ASUS. Can we get our hopes up that they may ditch plastic and go with an aluminum case like the HTC M8? :)

Im not a fan of aluminum myself but being a HTC, i hope they give it a good battery. HTC batteries usually suck....though ive never had a HTC One or M8.

sequoiamac

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
Yes I agree that vanilla android devices is the way to go. There's a level of smoothness to android when OS customization and bloatware are not present in Android.

Agreed, it runs so awesome without bloatware or customizations. It's a huge difference from my Motorola phone.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I was just reading and again it's just a rumor, no hard facts. But the next version of Android should be announced in June during Google's I/O Conference with an announcement of Android 4.5 and the codename supposedly being bandied about is Lollipop.

It appears they may not announce the N8 during their conference but shortly after. At least Nexus 8 is in their device code list for the next version of Android.

http://thefusejoplin.com/2014/05/google-nexus-8-release-android-45-lollipop/

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Since they are supposed to ax the Nexus line giving way to "Silver", we'll see. No mention if it is just the phones that are going away from the Nexus line or not.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
For me, the iPad mini had the perfect form factor. The Nexus 7 was just a little too small. I'd at least look at an 8.9 inch Nexus.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Leaked pic? The bezel seems to have a metal look to it. :)

Google's Nexus 8 Image Spotted, June Launch Likely

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/googles-nexus-8-image-spotted-june-launch-likely-1450030

google-nexus-8.jpg

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Last edited:

superstarmc

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
I hope that's not a real photo. You'd think they would have learned from having the huge bezels on the nexus 10.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well, looks like there's nothing to that ibtimes.co.uk article--is actually an old photo of the Nexus 10 being used in a demo at I/O 2013. Full details can be read here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.