Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 3, 2022
Are there any credible rumors about the next low-cost iPhone? The third-generation iPhone SE was recently released, but there have been rumors of a Plus model.

The next low-cost iPhone should be an updated iPhone 11. I don't think the old iPhone 8 design will last much longer. Unclear if they would continue with FaceID or switch to TouchID on the home button (if FaceID, it must support FaceID with mask).

Personally, I don't care much about the form factor, but getting the latest processor without more cameras feels useless. I don't think most ordinary consumers care about having the "fastest and latest processor" but they care more about cameras, screen size and possibly TouchID.

I would have loved to have an iPhone 12/13 mini but gave up because of OLED (PWM). However, I don't believe that the next low-cost iPhone will be a 12/13 mini as the market doesn't seem to demand a smaller size, but rather a lower price. Therefore, a new and updated iPhone 11 would probably sell better.

What are your thoughts?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The latest credible rumors continue to say 5.7-inch display, which means XR/11 chassis. No information about cameras, but since SE doesn’t yet have basics like Night Mode, it might make sense for it to gain that feature. Touch ID makes sense as it increases display yield and eliminates cost of TrueDepth components.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 3, 2022
The latest credible rumors continue to say 5.7-inch display, which means XR/11 chassis. No information about cameras, but since SE doesn’t yet have basics like Night Mode, it might make sense for it to gain that feature. Touch ID makes sense as it increases display yield and eliminates cost of TrueDepth components.
Yes, Night Mode would be great (and 2x optical zoom range) just like the iPhone 11. 👍

I want to buy iPhone 11 over iPhone SE but FaceID without face mask is holding me back. Need FaceID with mask or preferably TouchID.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I would have loved to have an iPhone 12/13 mini but gave up because of OLED (PWM). However, I don't believe that the next low-cost iPhone will be a 12/13 mini as the market doesn't seem to demand a smaller size, but rather a lower price. Therefore, a new and updated iPhone 11 would probably sell better.

What are your thoughts?
Apple knows (statistically) the iPhone XR/11 chassis is more desired..

Which is exactly what could give them motivation to use the mini chassis instead in an effort to upsell buyers.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Which is exactly what could give them motivation to use the mini chassis instead in an effort to upsell buyers.

The XR/11 chassis was desired in 2018, but not in 2023/24. By that time it will be two generations behind, missing out on flat edges of the 12 and the pill/hole of the 14.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 3, 2022

Not so sure about that. People who buy a cheap iPhone do so for financial reasons (or in my case because of PWM). So if Apple doesn't release an interesting budget model, people will just choose Android instead, which gives more for the money.

Again, I would like an iPhone mini (with LED instead of OLED) but I don't believe it.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Cancelled
Original poster
May 3, 2022
The XR/11 chassis was desired in 2018, but not in 2023/24. By that time it will be two generations behind, missing out on flat edges of the 12 and the pill/hole of the 14.
Think people care more about screen size than flat edges. Although I personally think the iPhone XR/11 is too big and heavy.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Think people care more about screen size than flat edges. Although I personally think the iPhone XR/11 is too big and heavy.

That’s why the rumors about 5.7-inch display with XR chassis make sense. It will have a small display, thick bezels, with an old chassis design. It has deficiencies all around so nobody will confuse it with a more expensive iPhone 12, 13, or 14. The iPhone 12 mini is neither economical nor old enough for Apple to use as an SE. And the mini certainly won’t generate demand.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Apple released a popular phone with 2014 bezels in 2022 so I don’t think customers are going to be put off by curved edges in 23/24.

Reactions: arkitect

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple released a popular phone with 2014 bezels in 2022 so I don’t think customers are going to be put off by curved edges in 23/24.

Given the SE price point, consumers certainly won't be put off. They get what they're paying for.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Not so sure about that. People who buy a cheap iPhone do so for financial reasons (or in my case because of PWM). So if Apple doesn't release an interesting budget model, people will just choose Android instead, which gives more for the money.

Again, I would like an iPhone mini (with LED instead of OLED) but I don't believe it.
Makes sense for PWM. But for many others buying the SE only really makes sense if you want an iPhone specifically. There are cheaper or similarly priced budget Androids that are more "modern" than the SE. It really depends on whether someone finds size more important than price or the OS.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Makes sense for PWM. But for many others buying the SE only really makes sense if you want an iPhone specifically. There are cheaper or similarly priced budget Androids that are more "modern" than the SE. It really depends on whether someone finds size more important than price or the OS.

I know plenty of iPhone users who wouldn't consider switching to an Android model even if it had better features at same or lower price. Familiarity and ease of use are more important to most iPhone users I know.

Given most (in the US at least) just buy their iPhones as part of their plans, it doesn't really matter much if it's $11 or $22 per month (and the higher end could be cheaper/free with trade-in offers and carrier lock-in).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4419867 and Paddle1

Cancelled
Original poster
May 3, 2022
I know plenty of iPhone users who wouldn't consider switching to an Android model even if it had better features at same or lower price. Familiarity and ease of use are more important to most iPhone users I know.

Given most just buy their iPhones as part of their plans, it doesn't really matter much if it's $11 or $22 per month (and the higher end could be cheaper/free with trade-in offers and carrier lock-in).
It's true that people stick with the iPhone because it's easy and familiar (just as there are people who feel the same about Android).

I myself pay everything upfront. I see how much the phones actually cost and therefore refuse to buy today's flagship. Back in the day the flagships were cheaper so I bought them. The line was drawn at iPhone X pricing.

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
That’s why the rumors about 5.7-inch display with XR chassis make sense. It will have a small display, thick bezels, with an old chassis design. It has deficiencies all around so nobody will confuse it with a more expensive iPhone 12, 13, or 14. The iPhone 12 mini is neither economical nor old enough for Apple to use as an SE. And the mini certainly won’t generate demand.
Interesting. I guess 5.7 inch is an okay size, definitely smaller than 6.1 inch. That's going to be my next phone if they do stop making the minis for good.

5.7 inch LCD screen in a XR/11 design doesn't exist so it'll be nice if they can borrow just the flat edges from the 12/13 design.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
iPhone 11 basically is an SE for $499 at this point. Could re-release the XR as an SE+ and sell it for like $449 with an updated chip.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
iPhone 11 basically is an SE for $499 at this point. Could re-release the XR as an SE+ and sell it for like $449 with an updated chip.

They could and it would cannibalize iPhone 13, so Apple would never let that happen. Apple can give it a new chip with 5G, but the compromise will be thick bezels, smaller display, and probably single rear camera.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
They could and it would cannibalize iPhone 13, so Apple would never let that happen. Apple can give it a new chip with 5G, but the compromise will be thick bezels, smaller display, and probably single rear camera.

Iirc, iPhone XR is already single camera.

After the iPhone 14's release, I reckon the XR design would be old enough (2 generations behind) that they can keep for an iPhone SE Plus at around $500.

I do wonder how much those FaceID sensors cost compared to TouchID.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Iirc, iPhone XR is already single camera.

After the iPhone 14's release, I reckon the XR design would be old enough (2 generations behind) that they can keep for an iPhone SE Plus at around $500.

I do wonder how much those FaceID sensors cost compared to TouchID.

Much will depend on timing. To me, any SE with A15, 5G, and a notch will compete with iPhone 12 to 14. The single rear camera may be old, but it's still too close to a modern iPhone due to computational photography.

If SE4 is a 2023 product, I can see it similar to iPad Air but with thicker bezels.

If SE4 is scheduled for 2024, then the notch design will be old enough for SE.

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
Yes, Night Mode would be great (and 2x optical zoom range) just like the iPhone 11. 👍

I want to buy iPhone 11 over iPhone SE but FaceID without face mask is holding me back. Need FaceID with mask or preferably TouchID.
Out of interest, where are you that requires you to wear a face mask so frequently? Here in the UK rarely anyone wears a mask anymore unless you're visiting a hospital.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 3, 2022
Out of interest, where are you that requires you to wear a face mask so frequently? Here in the UK rarely anyone wears a mask anymore unless you're visiting a hospital.
This has never been required (in Sweden) except in healthcare. However, I still use it sometimes even though I'm fully vaccinated (3 doses) as new mutations still cause you to get sick. Hanging out with my elderly father who is in a risk group so I don't want to risk anything (or get sick myself of course). Better safe than sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.