Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacXperte

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Vienna, Austria
On my Mavericks machine it says the app can't be opened because it's damaged. Any ideas?

Sorry for the inconvenience. It is the combined effect of a signed App with modified Info.plist, when it is also quarantined. One way to fix this, is running xattr -c on the Utility or on the .zip file to remove the "com.apple.quarantine" attribute.

Note however, that this is roughly equivalent to allowing an unsigned application to run. Similar caution should be applied.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
Sorry for the inconvenience. It is the combined effect of a signed App with modified Info.plist, when it is also quarantined. One way to fix this, is running xattr -c on the Utility or on the .zip file to remove the "com.apple.quarantine" attribute.

Note however, that this is roughly equivalent to allowing an unsigned application to run. Similar caution should be applied.

That's alright.

At first I was afraid I had completely lost the ability to manage profiles on my AirPort Express (it's amazing that's not possible with the current version). After that I was appalled at having to use a script for launching the Utility. Your modifications to the app made it really simple to avert both of those scenarios, so I am happy. Thank you :)

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
I found an even more elegant way to do it without a helper script. I added the old framework to the .app folder itself (under Contents/Frameworks/) and modified Info.plist in a way that:
  • links the framework (using LSEnvironment with DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES and the relative path @executable_path/../Frameworks/...) in a portable, self-contained manner;
  • modifies the version to 9.6.1 so that Mavericks will let you launch the app normally and no App updates will be proposed;
  • and shows the modified name "AirPort Utility 5.6" fully localized.
Other than adding the old Apple80211 framework and modifying Info.plist and InfoPlist.strings this is an unaltered AirPort Utility v5.6.1.
Here is a download link to the zipped app, hope it works:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B262SDNMasL5UGpyTTNPeWlYdEU&export=download

This has worked for me, thank you. However, the app keeps asking for Keychain access to all my Airports and when I do allow it, it still asks for Airport access passwords — always. Is there a way around it? Maybe I should erase the old Keychain entries?

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
Thank you for that. Is there a way to stop the app asking for permission to use Keychain every time I go to "Manual Setup" for an AirPort?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I am one of those who kept 5.6 AU because of its better functionality. Of course hit a brick wall with Maverick and finally had to use the newer less functional version.

Did not realize that so many were doing the same thing. Surely it is time for Apple to update the latest version of AU to bring back the functionality we miss from the older version.

clik

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
Solved!

I found an even more elegant way to do it without a helper script...

Thanks MacXperte! Your modded AirPort Utility 5.6.1 still works here in 2016, using an old AirPort Express and a machine running El Capitan...

And thanks for keeping that download link live for the last 3 years : )

kbw1

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
CoreyJMahler.com which is now zcs.zyniker.org/airport-utility-v5-6-1 has posted the following to get Airport Utiltiy 5.6.1 to work under MacOS 10.12 Sierra+:
  1. re-download the *.dmg or the *.zip,
  2. open the file after download,
  3. and then move the two *.app files inside the resulting “AirPort Utility 5.6.1” folder one at a time to a folder on your hard drive (the Utilities folder in Applications is the recommended location for obvious reasons).
Then open AirPort Utility 5.6.1 Launcher. Pretty simple. When you start AU 5.6.1, reply Cancel when it asks to download later version.
Worked for me. Although AU 5.6.1 doesn't see my AirPort Express. Tried connecting it via Ethernet cable to iMac without success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.