Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Rixter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
I was wondering....could a person actually run an entirely different O.S. from/on an apple iPhone? Sorta like this...would it be possible to completely "wipe" the apple iOS, then install, say a Linux or Android O.S. onto the iPhone and have it work/perform in the manner it was designed to? I see where I could've posted this thread in any number of the forums here, but figured this sub-forum would be the most appropriate.

Curios;

Rick

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I believe the boot loader is locked down so booting any non-iOS would be very hard. Even if you could platform drivers for Apples custom GPU etc won’t be available

69Rixter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
RE: robbieduncan

Thank You for responding. Yes, I've heard iOS has a separate bootloader and , therefore, couldn't "boot" another O.S. Let me ask, then, is it/could it be possible to "erase/delete/wipe" that bootloader so one could install an alternative O.S.? and the second part of my thread ...would an alternative O.S. perform properly?
TNX:

Rick

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Is the boot loader not in the firmware? I don’t think it can be erased in any meaningful way. And my other point around the custom Apple SoC still stands: there are no platform drivers for any other OS. Nothing would boot. A team of dedicated/insane developers might be able to reverse engineer enough to get something running but really unless Apple choose to do this it won’t happen

Now if the question was:“Do Apple maintain a build of Android they can boot on iPhones” I’d say it’s unlikely but not impossible

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You need a BOOTROM exploit. The bootrom is secure and prevents booting if anything in the chain isn't official.

That said…checkra1n.

checkra1n is a bootrom exploit that was just revealed in the last month or two. Will not work on devices newer than the iPhone X though as Apple has fixed the bug on those devices.

But every device from the iPhone X and below now has a bootrom exploit. checkra1n is tethered and there's not a lot out about it right now. A jailbreak named Checkm8 is being worked on though. I'm looking forward to finally being able to verbose boot on my 6s+ - assuming there is anything I can use that leverages this.

Anyway, it's early days.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.