Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jangoforhire

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
I have a 2017 15" MBP and one of each of the LG Ultrafine 5k and 4k monitors. I wanted to try and run these from my CalDigit TS3 Thunderbolt dock (using the 4K in portrait and the 5K in landscape), but it looks like it's not working as I expected. CalDigit specifies that the dock can support one 5K monitor or two 4K monitors, but doesn't mention anything about a combination.

I am connecting the MBP to the CalDigit Dock via Thunderbolt 3, the 5K Monitor is connected tp the dock via Thunderbolt 3, and the 4K monitor is connected to the dock via a displayPort to USB-C cable (specifically this one).

The 5K monitor works fine, but I can't get the 4K monitor to be recognized. Does anyone know if this setup should work?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The cable you linked to is a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. It only works one way—from USB-C to DisplayPort. It won’t do what you want. Your only option is to run the 4K display directly off one of the MacBook Pro’s Thunderbolt ports on the opposite side of the computer from the Caldigit dock. I don’t think you can daisy chain them.

jangoforhire

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
The cable you linked to is a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. It only works one way—from USB-C to DisplayPort. It won’t do what you want. Your only option is to run the 4K display directly off one of the MacBook Pro’s Thunderbolt ports on the opposite side of the computer from the Caldigit dock. I don’t think you can daisy chain them.

Ah, well. That would do it. Thanks for the info! Looks like there isn't anyway to get from display port to USB-C unfortunately - and yea you're right, it can't be daisy chained from the 5K.

I'll probably end up selling the 4K and dock and just getting another 5K since I won't be able to get to one cable solution. If I have to plug two things into the MBP they might as well be two 5K display!

Thanks

Deo619

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2019
Ah, well. That would do it. Thanks for the info! Looks like there isn't anyway to get from display port to USB-C unfortunately - and yea you're right, it can't be daisy chained from the 5K.

I'll probably end up selling the 4K and dock and just getting another 5K since I won't be able to get to one cable solution. If I have to plug two things into the MBP they might as well be two 5K display!

Thanks

Sorry to revive an old thread, but you happen to have tried the exact combination that I want to try. How well did the Ultrafine 5K work when connected through the TS3 to your Macbook? Did the sound and other usb-c ports work on it?

ptrondsen

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
I am able to use the LG Ultrafine 5K with the Caldigit TS3 Plus, but max resolution is 4K with the Thunderbolt cable, which is really fine for me, my second monitor is UHD and uses DisplayPort. I am able to change the brightness and sound, by holding Control and then pressing the brightness and sound buttons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.