Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Sorry maybe I should have said what I wanted it for! Looking to get into the cybersecurity area, so will be learning on it and maybe end up using it for work someday, too. Unsure how demanding cybersecurity apps are on Linux. I'm doing a course at the moment and learning basic Linux and cybersecurity and it ends next week - I'd prefer to keep learning so I don't forget and rather keep building instead!
Virtualization is virtually a requirement to learn information security, especially if you want to learn Pen testing. Why?
1. You can spin up systems quickly.
2. You can "save" the systems quickly, and move them off the system.
3. You can learn about virtual networking - try networking two or more virtual machines together - and see what weaknesses exist.
4. You can set up honeypot virtual machines. Roll up a Windows XP SP1 machine with a logging enabled and see how it gets attacked.

Linux on bare metal M1 isn't mature enough the last I checked.

But... a lot of companies are moving to "the cloud" (think Amazon AWS). What exactly are you learning with cyber security via Linux? I also recommend learning Microsoft Server too.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Hello,

I tested Asahi Linux on my MacBook Pro M2, for the moment we are very limited, no blutooth, wifi etc..

I prefer native because it seems to me, correct me if I'm wrong, that there are limitations with certain USB peripherals.

Normally I'd say native is the way to go if possible - but the VM performance on M1 and later is really, really good - and you get snapshots to back up, clone and roll back to as a nice bonus.

I'd go so far as to say Windows 11 in a VM on M series is as good or better (for regular desktop use) than native on a lot of PC machines because you have a fairly clean install without a whole bunch of third party driver crap-ware.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I run Kali Linux using parallels on my M1 Max MBP without issue. Have a base install / configuration with a snapshot, and fork off that one for each specific assignment/need. Keep things nicely separate, can very rapidly go back to a known state, and keep where necessary the new snapshots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.