Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Picture%204.png

Why is mine so big? :confused:

The amusing thing is they are all page ins but none of them are page outs!

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
wow there is a lot up there
def abnormal (no that ive stated the obvious)
hope you can fix this
ive never encountered it before

how many programs are currently running in the screen

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
.:*Robot Boy*:. said:
What's so abnormal about those VM figures? They're all similar to those of the computer I'm currently working on (Dual 1GHz G4/1.75GB RAM) :confused:

They're pretty high considering the uptime plus it seems weird that there are no page outs at all.

My kernel_task is taking about 750MB as we speak. It controls the mounted and attached devices among other things such as the very basics of the system so it makes sense for it to use up a substantial amount of memory, virtual or otherwise.

ToastyX

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
I don't see anything abnormal. I don't understand why people are acting like this is unusual.

Mine looks similar, but I haven't restarted in two weeks:

vm.png

If you want to see something abnormal, look at how much real memory GLterm and Safari are taking. That's what happens when programs with memory leaks are used for several days. I'm sick of dealing with buggy software. :mad:

As for page outs, if you restarted recently and haven't used up all available memory, chances are there's not going to be any.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
generik said:
Why is mine so big? :confused:

The amusing thing is they are all page ins but none of them are page outs!

First, active program size in memory is relative to the amount of free physical memory you have. You have a lot RAM space therefore the OS can put more of the program into RAM without having to swap. Try to open some very large video or audio files and see what happens then.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
superbovine said:
First, active program size in memory is relative to the amount of free physical memory you have. You have a lot RAM space therefore the OS can put more of the program into RAM without having to swap. Try to open some very large video or audio files and see what happens then.

Hmm... you are right, it does seem normal.

It kinda rises to the 9GB+ point and just stays put there. However I think this can be kinda harsh to portable computers, that's almost.. 10% of your harddrive sunk right there.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Since 10.4.3, the VM has been larger but much more stable. I don't see anything wrong with the figures.

ToastyX

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
generik said:
It kinda rises to the 9GB+ point and just stays put there. However I think this can be kinda harsh to portable computers, that's almost.. 10% of your harddrive sunk right there.
Virtual memory is not swap size. It's how much address space is allocated to the program.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Restart your machine, run all maintenance scripts and utilities and see if the problem is corrected.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
As long as you dont have page outs, dont worry about this. Page outs mean that your system has too little REAL ram to do everything you want it to do, and is swapping files to the HDD and back, which will slow down your system considerably.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.