Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
I have a jailbroken iPad mini.

I want to download and run a .dmg file on my iPad. Is there a way?

What I'm trying to do is hook up pool automation with a program called iAqualink. It allows homeowner to use iphone or iPad or computer to control their pool equipment. First thing I have to do is download a .dmg file from iaqualink.com/ssid. Once downloaded, I connect the wireless antenna to my computer and link the two together using the .dmg program.

Problem is I don't always have my computer with me in the field, but always have my iPad. Is there any way to accomplish this? I would appreciate any guidance.

DankNugz

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2012
Bay Area, CA
I have a jailbroken iPad mini.

I want to download and run a .dmg file on my iPad. Is there a way?

What I'm trying to do is hook up pool automation with a program called iAqualink. It allows homeowner to use iphone or iPad or computer to control their pool equipment. First thing I have to do is download a .dmg file from iaqualink.com/ssid. Once downloaded, I connect the wireless antenna to my computer and link the two together using the .dmg program.

Problem is I don't always have my computer with me in the field, but always have my iPad. Is there any way to accomplish this? I would appreciate any guidance.

That company has an iOS app available in the app store. Just use that.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
I have the app. The app won't let me do the initial linking of the antenna to the customers wi-fi. For that I need to download and run the wi-Fi setup tool which is .dmg file

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
OK, what if the dmg contains video (mp4) files for instance? Any way to open them and play the video files?

Reactions: g-7

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
The only way I see it is for you to invest in a Microsoft Surface Pro which runs the full version of windows 8.

IOS will not allow you to run OSX software, you will need to go in and recode everything for it to run as an app.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
You will have to bring your computer or buy the cheapest laptop/netbook you can find and run it.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Thanks all. I'm not gonna buy a surface Pro and probably won't buy a cheapie computer just to use a couple times a month.

I was really hopin there was a way to do that. Oh well

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Have you tried running the app on the mac and seeing if you can pull the videos to your desktop, then you can transfer the videos to your iPad.

That's obvious. My point was, what if I wanted to open a DMG file from my iPad which contains compatible iPad stuff? Any way of doing it?

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Wouldn't your customers have a computer that you could just use to do the initial install?, they must if they have a wi-fi network after all. Not many people just have a tablet and no desktop or laptop.... or do they? :confused:

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
That's obvious. My point was, what if I wanted to open a DMG file from my iPad which contains compatible iPad stuff? Any way of doing it?

No, it's still a DMG file. To open the DMG file you must use a computer running the Mac OS.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Wouldn't your customers have a computer that you could just use to do the initial install?, they must if they have a wi-fi network after all. Not many people just have a tablet and no desktop or laptop.... or do they? :confused:

Many of my customers are snowbirds/2nd homeowners, and very rarely in town.

Plus the antenna is mounted in the equipment area. I can't ask a customer to take their laptop out to the pool equip area, or even download a program to their computer that they will never use.

Also not really that professional to not have all the tools I need to install their automation system

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.