Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrOddawson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2012
My friend recently gave me an unused MacBook Mac OS X Leopard Install disk, will it upgrade my iMac running on Tiger? The disk has a white edge and the rest is grey. Is there anyway possible to install this copy of Leopard on my iMac?

iMac spec: 1.25 gighertz, Leopard 10.3.9,

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The gray disks are tied to each machine, that is iMac install disks only work on iMacs and MBP install disks only work on MBP etc.

Look at ebay for your model's install disks if you want, or ebay for the retail version of OSX which isn't tied to a particular machine.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
My friend recently gave me an unused MacBook Mac OS X Leopard Install disk, will it upgrade my iMac running on Tiger? The disk has a white edge and the rest is grey. Is there anyway possible to install this copy of Leopard on my iMac?

Probably won't, but I'm sure there is some kind of hack...

10.3.9 is panther... 10.5.8 is Leopard.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007

Won't work even with a hack, if you were able to find one in the first place. Macbooks are intel, you're iMac is a PPC G4. Where it's a grey install disk, it's probably intel binary being tied to an intel machine and all. Also, you won't find any grey 'restore' CDs for a G4 iMac containing 10.5 Leopard because the iMac G4 was before the time of Leopard. So, your option for upgrading would be a 1st hand or 2nd hand Retail DVD with the actual Leopard depicted on the disk itself.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Ah yea... I didn't see that it was a G4! I guess that won't work...

If I were you I may not even bother to install Leopard on that machine, because it may not run too fast.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/371302/

Works also for SL grey installation disks (with a few changes). Read the entire thread (see above)!

I'll be sure to read all 16 pages of that thread. :rolleyes: If you're going to try and provide some useful information, try at least making your case with a link to something that directly supports your statements. The OP clearly isn't going to dig through all of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.