Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMixam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2021
I'm looking for an app that can show "best efforts" for every run stored in Apple Health (eg. you ran 10 miles and the app shows your fastest 5K and 10K times within that run). The app or IAP can be a one time payment (as long as I don't have to pay for a monthly/yearly subscription).

For clarity: I am looking for an app that can read past activities stored in Apple Health.

I know about these apps but they don't meet my criteria:
  • Tempo can do it, but it's subscription-based.
  • Strava only shows it when it's in the top 3 of your all-time personal bests.
  • iSmoothRun can do it, but costs money AND is subscription-based (tbh I'm not sure if this functionality is behind the subscription paywall, I don't want to risk paying for the app just to find out it's behind another paywall).
  • Runalyze can do it but then I need to upload every workout to their platform and the interface sucks on a mobile browser.
  • https://benwebb.net/ does the job but then I need to use another app (HealthFit) to upload to another service (Strava) to then view the results in Safari. It's a bit much to do every run.

Last edited:
Reactions: easycure1974

johnl1275

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
I love Tempo. To me it was worth the subscription price as I have not found anything else that gives me things like tags which are supercool to use.

I use Workoutdoors as my primary running app which delivers crazy awesome post -run analytics and does everything if not more than a dedicated running watch. And then Tempo to for best efforts and such. Tempo also has some very cool watch complications and iPhone widgets as well.

TheMixam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2021
I love Tempo. To me it was worth the subscription price as I have not found anything else that gives me things like tags which are supercool to use.

I use Workoutdoors as my primary running app which delivers crazy awesome post -run analytics and does everything if not more than a dedicated running watch. And then Tempo to for best efforts and such. Tempo also has some very cool watch complications and iPhone widgets as well.
While I agree the price isn't too bad, I don't like the idea of paying for a subscription for an app that's completely local, there's no licensing or server time involved.

Reactions: johnl1275

johnl1275

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
While I agree the price isn't too bad, I don't like the idea of paying for a subscription for an app that's completely local, there's no licensing or server time involved.
I totally understand what you are saying. I have not been able to find anything else as good as Tempo though. Also, in my mind my subscription payment should help paying for future improvements to the app.

Reactions: TheMixam

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I totally understand what you are saying. I have not been able to find anything else as good as Tempo though. Also, in my mind my subscription payment should help paying for future improvements to the app.

This should be the consumer mindset if good apps were to survive. Development takes a lot of time and effort. Indie developers will not come up with awesome apps if they don’t make enough from their apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnl1275

TheMixam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2021
This should be the consumer mindset of good apps were to survive. Development takes a lot of time and effort. Indie developers will not come up with awesome apps if they don’t make enough from their apps.
I partially agree. A one time purchase != not enough revenue.

If the developer decides that next year the price will be 10$/month, then you pay the price or lose access. I'd rather pay 50$ now and own the software (or have a license for life) and not risk losing access.

Reactions: akash.nu

TheMixam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2021
Tempo is a good app with nice widgets. Take a look at "WorkOutDoors." That app can do it all and doesn't have a sub. I have been using it for years and really enjoy it. The developer is an active member here.

I use it to record runs but it doesn’t show best efforts per run. I’ve asked for it but I was the first to request it so I don’t think it’s a priority.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.