Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwatters579

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
I was wondering how stable it is to run Catalina on a main machine? I have an updated Time Machine (running Mojave) but, it is not in a HFS format (the backup). Can I install Catalina and have all my current files on there (from Mojave) without an issue?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
If you can't wait for the public beta in July, I'd recommend at least waiting on Dev Beta 2. It will likely released next week (Tuesday) along with iOS 13 Beta 2. Hopefully, that would fix some bugs from Beta 1.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I had no issues with Catalina except for battery life. Battery life went from 7-9 hrs on a single charge to more like 2 hrs or so. Went back to Mojave. All good now.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Running on your "main" drive as your "primary" OS?

I wouldn't even think about this until October/November this year...

Reactions: dwig

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm even hesitant to run Catalina on an entirely separate Mac on my main iCloud account! I wouldn't dare run it on my main machines.

I have a separate Apple ID I use for work dev-stuff that I use to play with Catalina. There's not too much exciting stuff to play with so I haven't messed with it much. I've already seen built-in apps crash several times, including Photos.

So yeah, no. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.