Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majus

Contributor
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
I don't have any other use case for buying Windows, just one firmware update file I need to run. Using something like CrossOver to run a monitor firmware update (exe file) from my Mac — would that be a dangerous thing to do?

The idea worries me because I know programs like CrossOver translate the Windows OS commands to Mac OS but I don't know how well they do it.

Has anyone tried it successfully?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
This is too general of a question to answer. What's the device you're trying to update?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Is the monitor connected with USB and DisplayPort? Crossover might work. Check for USB device support first.

Is the monitor connected only with DisplayPort? Probably need to use Boot Camp.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
@majus What monitor is important. Some exe files provided by monitor manufactures are just archives that can be extracted on macOS, put on an USB stick and used to update the monitor via its USB port. Post a link to the firmware.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

majus

Contributor
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
What monitor is important. Some exe files provided by monitor manufactures are just archives that can be extracted on macOS, put on an USB stick and used to update the monitor via its USB port. Post a link to the firmware.
ViewSonic VP2785-4K is attached DisplayPort > DisplayPort on an early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 > 5,1, High Sierra.

Today I discovered that they now have an internet solution to do the update online, so I think this problem is solved.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
ViewSonic VP2785-4K is attached DisplayPort > DisplayPort on an early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 > 5,1, High Sierra.

Today I discovered that they now have an internet solution to do the update online, so I think this problem is solved.
You should be able to do this with the Mac version of ViewSonic's vDisplay Manager: https://www.viewsonic.com/colorpro/support/software/
(you'll need to connect a USB cable to the display for the update to work.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.