Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I have a (very expensive) car workshop manual for my wife's Smart Brabus Roadster on CD's but as we have changed over to Mac computers I cannot run the .exe files they contain - or can I?

Is there something I can download/install that will read the .exe files out there?

I've seen things like Parallels and Wine but they cost money and I'm skint!!

Cheers

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
As far as I know, the only ways to do that would be to either run Windows natively in Bootcamp or virtually in Parallels.

EDIT: Just found this. No idea how well it works or IF it works. Note, though, that it doesn't state that it supports Catalina (10.15) and the latest stable version states the latest supported OS is High Sierra (10.13):

Also check this out:

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
I have a (very expensive) car workshop manual for my wife's Smart Brabus Roadster on CD's but as we have changed over to Mac computers I cannot run the .exe files they contain - or can I?

Is there something I can download/install that will read the .exe files out there?

I've seen things like Parallels and Wine but they cost money and I'm skint!!

Cheers

*.exe files are 'executable' files for Windows. Windows is another operating system than MacOs. You can't simply run an executable made for one OS on another OS.

There are a few possibilities to run Windows programs on your Mac, but all involve emulating or installing Windows on your Mac.

- You can run a Windows virtual machine or emulator on your Mac. One of those programs is called 'parallels' as you mentioned, but there are free alternatives as well.
- You can also install Windows on your Mac with an Apple program called 'Bootcamp'.
- You can also find a friend with a Windows laptop and run your exe files on that.
- Maybe you have an old Windows laptop lying around, or buy a used cheap one?

I don't know your expertise on computers, but installing or emulating Windows on a Mac is not extremely difficult, but it might be handy if you know someone who can do that for you.

Last edited:

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I'm an 81 year old git with a fair modicum of computer but not sure I've got enough disc space to install Windows. I've only got 23Gb free.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I'm an 81 year old git with a fair modicum of computer but not sure I've got enough disc space to install Windows. I've only got 23Gb free.
In that case, install Virtual Box, get a portable USB 3 SSD, and put the Windows VM on the portable SSD.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Right, I now have a 500Gb portable HD I can attach to my MBP so now need to install Windows on it?
Looking at Virtual Box now............blimey, there are dozens of them.......which do I need?
Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 09.01.52.jpg

[automerge]1591344521[/automerge]
OK, I now have Virtual Box installed and operational.
Could some kind person advise how I now install Windows on this virtual Machine please.

Looking at what I need Windows for I believe Windows 7 (which is a free download) will do the job. I just need to make sure it goes onto the external HD and not onto my MBP.

Last edited:

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
OK, I have now got VirtualBox installed and running..........now for some Windows.............

Do I need a Windows CD or can this be downloaded somewhere from the Net? I've seen all sorts ofd dodgy looking"keys" and the like on Ebay but what's the use of a key if you haven't got the programme??
I presume I don't need the latest release, thinking more along the lines of Windows 7

Last edited:

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
OK, I have now got VirtualBox installed and running..........now for some Windows.............

Do I need a Windows CD or can this be downloaded somewhere from the Net? I've seen all sorts ofd dodgy looking"keys" and the like on Ebay but what's the use of a key if you haven't got the programme??
I presume I don't need the latest release, thinking more along the lines of Windows 7

Cool! You can download the Windows 10 ISO (it's a downloadable copy of the installation CD) straight from the Microsoft site. When Virtual Box asks for the installation media, direct it to your downloaded ISO.

Also, when telling Virtual Box where to save the VM 'disk', you can select your external drive. It the external drive is a spinning disk rather than SSD, Windows 10 will be usable, just very slow. That's why I suggested an external USB 3 SSD.

You can use Windows 10 without paying for it - it just won't allow you to customise the appearance.

Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Many thanks for that. I've started the 64bit download to my Mac "Downloads" folder. I presume once downloaded I "Install" onto my external drive?
[automerge]1591388636[/automerge]
I now have an .iso file called ISO Disc Image. How does one open this, in the VirtualBox? or just click it?? Don't want to do anything to compromise my MBP.

Just double clicked the .iso and I get a box with .exe files which obviously I can't open in my Mac, the whole purpose of this exercise ??

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 21.25.47.jpg

Last edited:

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
This answer is wrong.

The OP wants to run Windows on a Mac. The host machine is a Mac ("OS X"), his computer. The guest operating system is Windows (in his case a free downloadable copy of Windows 7).

OP needs to install the VirtualBox distribution for OS X hosts.

This correction is here for any future readers who consult this thread.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks Erehy Dobon. I have downloaded VirtualBox and have downloaded a coy of Windows 10 from Microsoft site -

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 08.31.00.jpg

When I double click this .iso file I get -

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 21.25.47.jpg

Where do I go from here please??? How do I install Windows onto my external drive now? Have I got the files I need???

Thanks

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Oh dear, this is driving me MAD!!!
I have Boot Camp Assistant on my 2018 MBP but when I run that it says "The startup disc does not have sufficient room. It needs at least 42Gb. Checking my HD I have 50Gb free space so what's the problem??

Also it will not allow me to install on the external HD, it asks me to remove it every time I open Boot Camp?

All VERY CONFUSING for an old git!!!

I "copied" boot camp to the external drive and ran nit from there but it still asks to remove the external drive.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Oh dear, this is driving me MAD!!!
I have Boot Camp Assistant on my 2018 MBP but when I run that it says "The startup disc does not have sufficient room. It needs at least 42Gb. Checking my HD I have 50Gb free space so what's the problem??

Also it will not allow me to install on the external HD, it asks me to remove it every time I open Boot Camp?

All VERY CONFUSING for an old git!!!

I "copied" boot camp to the external drive and ran nit from there but it still asks to remove the external drive.
You've got this far for an old git, give yourself some credit! I'll record a video of the installation process for you this evening (GMT 0 time zone)

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
AppleSmack, many thanks, most kind. If I could run everything from the external drive I'd have tons of space?

I have spoken with Apple support and have now installed Windows via Boot Camp!!

ALL SORTED AppleSmack, thanks. Both working fine!!

No further help needed (at the moment??)

Cheers

Last edited:

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Only problem kit that Microsoft need a KEY to activate the Windows installation, which of course I don't have, so time to put this project to bed.
Now to find out how to delete the installation and undo the partition.

Oh well ??

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Probably an easier solution, is ask a friend with a PC to extract the files you want.
As far as I know you need to buy a license to run Windows, unless it is installed on a new PC.

Have you had a proper look on the CD?
The actual document files may be accessible as pdf/txt files, and the .exe program is just a fancy navigation tool.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I did "install" the manual onto my neighbour's old Dell computer but when I tried to access the program it asked for a user name and password!! I may have had that info back in 2007 when I bought the discs but no idea now.

We're now going another route to solve the problem, via forums.

I've undone the Windows installation and got my Mac back as a Mac.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
AppleSmack, many thanks, most kind. If I could run everything from the external drive I'd have tons of space?

I have spoken with Apple support and have now installed Windows via Boot Camp!!

ALL SORTED AppleSmack, thanks. Both working fine!!

No further help needed (at the moment??)

Cheers

Ah, glad you've got it sorted. It looks like the subsequent replies mean you've undone your Bootcamp installation.

If you later decide to run Windows from your external drive, have a look at this YouTube video (it's not me!):
"VirtualBox install on MacOS Host with Windows 10 Guest in 2020"

At 4:08, where it says "Machine folder", change that to your external drive.

Note, that you do NOT need a key to use Windows 10 – it will run just fine, it just won't let you customise the appearance.

I think user "MarkC426" earlier asks the best question, whether the .exe is just a fancy viewer for the manual which might actually be available in a readable format on the CD.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Many thanks again for your time and advice, all most helpful. Being completely unfamiliar with Windows now I couldn't even find where the C:/ drive was ??

I'll have another go with the external drive tomorrow, I'm computer out for one day!

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.