Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N47H

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Hi guys,

I actually posted this on the Apple support forums but it got absolutely no help, so I'm hoping the community we have here has a few ideas for remedying this issue.

Currently running a Mid 2015, 15" MacBook Pro Retina (2.8Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB,
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB, 16GB DDR3 RAM). I'm sure none of this is particularly relevant in this instance, but covering all bases with as much background info as possible.

So to cut a long story short, I've been running High Sierra pretty much since it launched publicly, so full release, I didn't have the beta at any point. I'm currently running with version 10.13 (17A405) (I believe there's an update on the app store but I'm avoiding that at the moment due to my current issue).

If I am ever to reboot my machine (or switch off one day, turn on the next) I get a long boot up sequence followed by the High Sierra install screen, and then a message stating that High Sierra has failed to install. So every time I now reboot I have to hold down Option/Alt and then select my Macintosh HD to get the Mac to boot up and avoid this failed installation, there is a boot option there to install High Sierra.

The error message says it cannot find the installer in my applications folder, which is obviously the case as it installed and then deleted automatically.

However looking around my mac on the root of the Macintosh HD partition there was a folder called 'macOS Install Data' which is completely locked out etc so that I cannot delete. This is a folder which I believe should auto delete once High Sierra has installed. If I try to delete it a warning pops up saying these files are required by the OS. I have since managed to delete the majority of the contents of this folder using an array of terminal commands (note I'm no wizard with terminal, I just used the one or two commands I knew could change read/write permissions and force delete etc).

Having now deleted the majority of these files, what is left is a file called 'index.sproduct' and then a folder called 'Locked Files' which I cannot even open as I don't have permission, despite what I've tried in terminal.

Note deleting these files hasn't helped remedy the failed install boot sequence.

The only other thing of note is that when using Disk Utility I've noticed that there is a new partition on my Mac called Disk0s4 weighing in at 471.9 MB, i'm also unable to delete said partition I get the message 'You can not remove this volume because the previous volume can not be resized.' I'm not sure if this is related to the High Sierra issues or is a bootcamp related thing, as I also use bootcamp on my Mac.

So, answers on a postcard please! Any help would be massively appreciated!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would:
1. Download the latest installer of 10.13.1
2. Create a bootable USB flashdrive version of the installer by getting a 16gb (or larger) flashdrive and ONE of the following free apps: "Boot Buddy", "DiskMaker X", or "Install Disk Creator"
3. Boot from the flashdrive, then re-install the OS that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.