Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Hey all,

I was just wondering if I anyone would know a bit about running OSX Server.

The situation is that I currently own a mini and an Mb air, and I've been thinking what would be the best way ( for me ) to do backups from both of these machines. And a couple of nights ago I noticed that OSX Server can act as a Time Machine server also, so that got me thinking if I could use the following setup:

- Install OSX Server on the mini
- The air does backups to the mini via Wlan
- The mini does backups of it's local storage via Time machine to an external usb-HDD

Only things I'm not sure about this are the following:

- Can OSX Server do all of the stuff that a normal consumer-level OSX can do? So I can run virtualbox on it, and do dev-stuff etc, do a bit of gaming etc, so it's not some borderline headless version of OSX that has all kinds of restrictions?

- Does OSX Server also have the same Time machine system that a normal OSX has? So I can just plug my usb-hdd to mini and backup away like on a normal OS?

Probably a bit stupid questions, but I've never used or even seen the server version running anywhere, so better safe than sorry.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
OS X server is OS X plus server applications. It doesn't remove any features from OS X.

As for backing up a Mac running OS X server, I'm fairly sure Time Machine works as normal there as well.

tomaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
OS X server is OS X plus server applications. It doesn't remove any features from OS X.

Oh I see!

That's just great news then :) I was a bit worried that the server-version would be a totally different OS-image but if it's just a bunch of apps slapped on top of normal OSX, I'm sure that there'll be no problems with this little project then.

Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.