Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
I tried something as an experiment. On my Mac Pro 5,1 (spec below) I have parallels 14. I installed an image of OSX 10.6.8 server (the minimum OS supported) complete with Rosetta (original rosetta) . I can now run PPC software quite well in a window whist running Catalina on my mac. It seems pretty good so if there are any old programs your attached to you could give it a go. Oh, I first tried it on a 2013 imac with an ssd and the graphics were a bit slow and querky. But no problems on my mac pro...

jimw

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2003
I'm curious. How did you get Catalina to run on a 5.1? According to Apple Support, the highest you can go on a 5.1 with a METAL compatible graphic card is Mojave which is why I felt coerced to upgrade to a MacPro 7.1 2029 Desktop.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
I'm curious. How did you get Catalina to run on a 5.1? According to Apple Support, the highest you can go on a 5.1 with a METAL compatible graphic card is Mojave which is why I felt coerced to upgrade to a MacPro 7.1 2029 Desktop.
I am running the dosdude patch. Overall my computer is running fine, even better than under mojave. I only say that because now when I sleep it with drives attached to the usb 3.1 cards, they do not give me a disconnected warning when waking. and a few small things. I had to upgrade the wifi/bluetooth card as well. The other specs of my machine are below. (also, I have a 2008 model running sierra server at a client's site and its been rock solid for 3 years)

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Is there something special or new, that you can get PPC Software to run under a 10.6 VM?

Can you run Software who need OpenGL?

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Is there something special or new, that you can get PPC Software to run under a 10.6 VM?

Can you run Software who need OpenGL?
I was just running MYOB and an old copy of word .... To run the PPC versions I had to install rosetta, the original one, thats all. What did you want to run ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.