Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Check to see how many pairs of shoes your wife has in her closet, then look agast and ask her how many pairs of feet she has. Almost never fails.......;)
Or purses. My wife came to her own conclusion on that one and now I'm left alone about collecting.

Reactions: bjar

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Oh man, don’t think your logical comparative analysis will work. You will not win that argument. You think you will, and in a fair debate you might, but you’re married. There is nothing fair about marriage. :D

Let her have her shoes, purses, and Apple gadgetry w/o argument. Do that & she’ll probably let your macs slide. Call her out & your ppcs will always be on the chop block.

I think Ben is taking notes.

Last edited:

bjar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Sugar land, tx
Oh man, don’t think your logical comparative analysis will work. You will not win that argument. You think you will, and in a fair debate you might, but you’re married. There is nothing fair about marriage. :D

Let her have her shoes, purses, and Apple gadgetry w/o argument. Do that & she’ll probably let your macs slide. Call her out & your ppcs will always be on the chop block.

I think Ben is taking notes.
I wouldn’t dare call her out.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
This is why I could never be married. I could never tolerate someone telling me what I should or shouldn't buy, simply because we're intimate together. Married or not... you both still have free will.

Reactions: bobesch and bjar

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
This is why I could never be married. I could never tolerate someone telling me what I should or shouldn't buy, simply because we're intimate together. Married or not... you both still have free will.

I'll never do it again. Wasted ten years on a failed marriage.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But free will doesn't mean the right to trample on the other.

At what point do our hobbies (collecting old Macs) infringe on the right of the other?

I've taken over one entire wall of the living room with my Macs. My wife doesn't 'yell' because she offered it to me some time ago. But it means there is a portion of the front room that clashes with the layout and plans she has for the living room.

If I suddenly take over another part of the living room with another Mac, she would yell because now I'm invading her space.

Yes, technically it's space belonging to both of us, but I love her so I respect (or try to) the spaces that are hers in the house while she respects mine.

I have surrendered the backyard (a small space) to her gardening and bird tinkering (bird baths, feeders, etc) because the space I have in the garage is quite large. When our kids are grown and move out, she gets one room, I get the other - for whatever.

I don't have the right to invade her space. Furthermore, I've had that done to me by others in my own family where I couldn't say anything so I know how it feels.
[doublepost=1556979767][/doublepost]
I'll never do it again. Wasted ten years on a failed marriage.
On November 8, 2019 my wife and I will have been married 22 years. My first marriage, her second. It hasn't been easy. "Till death do us part" takes on different meanings sometimes, but I couldn't see myself with anyone else.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016

At what point do our hobbies (collecting old Macs) infringe on the right of the other?

I've taken over one entire wall of the living room with my Macs. My wife doesn't 'yell' because she offered it to me some time ago. But it means there is a portion of the front room that clashes with the layout and plans she has for the living room.

If I suddenly take over another part of the living room with another Mac, she would yell because now I'm invading her space.

Yes, technically it's space belonging to both of us, but I love her so I respect (or try to) the spaces that are hers in the house while she respects mine.

I have surrendered the backyard (a small space) to her gardening and bird tinkering (bird baths, feeders, etc) because the space I have in the garage is quite large. When our kids are grown and move out, she gets one room, I get the other - for whatever.

I don't have the right to invade her space. Furthermore, I've had that done to me by others in my own family where I couldn't say anything so I know how it feels.
On November 8, 2019 my wife and I will have been married 22 years. My first marriage, her second. It hasn't been easy. "Till death do us part" takes on different meanings sometimes, but I couldn't see myself with anyone else.

Hear hear, Erik. Love is respect & with respect comes compromise. We have all these cute euphemisms for the subtle conflicts that inevitably arise from tying the knot but at the end of the day, we have that choice to compromise or not as an expression of: our love, our mutual respect, our desire to protect & strengthen our union together.

I love my wife to the ends of the world & back. She’s my girl & with that I would flatly & unquestionably do my best to amend a behavior as an expression of that love & defense of our relationship & my favorite person in all of everything.

And Yanno what? She lets me keep my old faded ppc macs as the reciprocal expression of that love fueled compromise & defense of our union, family & relationship.

Oh mah gosh it’s not perfect & we have our moments but we’ve been together for 10+ years & I’m still excited to know that she’s the face I see each morning (well unless my son sneaks in the middle).

So how does this tie into ppc macs? The strategies I jokingly spoke to earlier are thoughtful soft skills allowing you to integrate your hobby into a shared living space which demonstrates your thoughtfulness & willingness to compromise in defense of your relationship. You are making her a priority in your choices.

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan

Oh, I'm with someone. Happy Unmarried to her for 13 years now :)

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I was married... to the army. So I know all about sacrifice. Just not the romantic kind. I'm a complex and stubborn fellow. Not marriage material. Now after my military career I'm married to my job in science. And I'm so busy that even my girlfriends feel neglected.

Reactions: bjar and eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was married... to the army. So I know all about sacrifice. Just not the romantic kind. I'm a complex and stubborn fellow. Not marriage material. Now after my military career I'm married to my job in science. And I'm so busy that even my girlfriends feel neglected.
My dad was in the Marine Corps and is a Korean War vet - so I totally get that. At least you know what's what and are honest about it.

bjar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Sugar land, tx
I like how my runway card thread turned into a thread about marriage. Love this place. As for me, married almost 7 years now. Have loved every second of it. Have a 2 yr old and another due in June. Kids make it hard, but a lot more fun at the same time. It is difficult to explain. I love my wife, but I understand why she rolls her eyes at something I buy but really have no use for other than collecting. But it’s all good. She has her crap, and I have mine. That is the beauty of it. At the end of the day, all that matters is that our family is together and we are happy. Other people are happy not being married. And that is cool too. I was happy not married once, then everything changed. Wouldn’t say I am even happier married. It’s just, a different kind of happy I guess.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I like how my runway card thread turned into a thread about marriage. Love this place. As for me, married almost 7 years now. Have loved every second of it. Have a 2 yr old and another due in June. Kids make it hard, but a lot more fun at the same time. It is difficult to explain. I love my wife, but I understand why she rolls her eyes at something I buy but really have no use for other than collecting. But it’s all good. She has her crap, and I have mine. That is the beauty of it. At the end of the day, all that matters is that our family is together and we are happy. Other people are happy not being married. And that is cool too. I was happy not married once, then everything changed. Wouldn’t say I am even happier married. It’s just, a different kind of happy I guess.
I get it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.