Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marioliv66@

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
France
Hello,

By controlling the system resources, I noticed something strange with the memories of my RX 580 and FCPX.

Here are the details of my machine:
Mac Pro 4.1> 5.1 6 hearts 3.33 ghz
Mac OS 10.14.6
16 go of Ram
Ahci SSD 250 GB on PCIe card (for system and applications)
SATA 500 GB SSD (for video editing)
Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8gb

I start using FCPX and therefore I do not master the software. Until now, I made small montages with files from my Canon 70D camera. I had small rushes of 1 to 2 minutes in 1080 P.

Recently, I was asked to make four small videos and provided rushes. Each rush is 2 GB and I have 4 or 5 per video project.
These files were shot in 1080P at 25 fps they are .MTS files in H264.
From the beginning of the import in FCPX I found this extremely long (The Ram was not saturated), I do not know if it comes from the encoding or the size of the files.
Until then, I did not need it with the files from my 70D, but for the work I was asked, I had to proxy because it was impossible to work.

These days I downloaded istat menu to learn more about using resources and trying to figure out where my Mac Pro was running.

I realized that the memory of the RX 580 was saturated and that as soon as I launch FCPX by opening one of the projects that I have to do. If I pass original files to proxy, the memory of the GPU is 100% and upon transfer, if I do not touch anything it remains at 100%.
I find myself, without doing anything on FCPX to a processor that is 3%, RAM at 47% and the RAM of the GPU at 100%.

If I leave the application, it resumes a normal value and as soon as I run FCPX the first operation it skyrockets.

Do you think that istat menu gives me a false information? Is my source files too heavy?

Thanks for your help

Capture d’écran 2019-12-01 à 14.04.57.png

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
This is how modern software works.

They are programmed to use all available hardware resource.

Idle RAM is just a waste. You pay them to work, not pay them to sit idle.

iStat menu should be very accurate for RX580 VRAM usage.

If you want to know more about VRAM usage, you can enter the following command in terminal
Code:
IOAccelMemory
or even
Code:
IOAccelMemory --all-processes

Reactions: JedNZ

marioliv66@

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
France
Thanks @h9826790 for the explanation, by executing the first command I have this error that appears several times
Code:
IOAccelMemory failed to collect data from com.apple.WebKit.1019: timeout (typically because the process is dead or sandboxed)
Then I have a summary table

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks @h9826790 for the explanation, by executing the first command I have this error that appears several times
Code:
IOAccelMemory failed to collect data from com.apple.WebKit.1019: timeout (typically because the process is dead or sandboxed)
Then I have a summary table

That's expected because the process is sandboxed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.