Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2024
Hi all, I currently have an RX 580 pulse 8 GB on MP 5.1 2010, 128 GB, 2 x 3.46, 2 nvme x 500 GB, Opencore 0.9.8 Martin Lo. I would like to replace it with a Vega 58 Air Boost which according to the seller would be 2x more powerful than an RX 580, when is it really, what are the advantages or disadvantages (from which macOS does the Vega work). Thank you.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I would like to replace it with a Vega 58 Air Boost which according to the seller would be 2x more powerful than an RX 580, when is it really,

Not for all metrics, depends very much on your workflow. Without more info about what you want to do with the GPU, is useless to discuss.

what are the advantages or disadvantages

More powerful, sure, but also with much more power draw - a reference non-overclocked VEGA 56 can draw up to 376,4W, much more than what the backplane can safely provide and the SMC will shutdown the Mac Pro the moment the overcurrent is detected.

A VEGA 56 only works reliably, when using it full throttle, if you mod your Mac Pro PSU with Pixla's mod or use it with the ROM switch selected to Economy mode/LowPower/Balanced mode/whatever low power mode name the GPU manufacturer used to describe it and with a eVGA PowerLink balancing the power inputs.

(from which macOS does the Vega work). Thank you.

VEGA support starts first with 10.13.2, this is the oldest macOS release that you can boot macOS with GPU acceleration.

Not much difference from a RX 580, where the support starts with 10.12.4, but only becomes decent after 10.13.6.

MacBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2024
Thank you for answering me,
Actually regarding the workflow, I mainly use Photoshop for images in PSD etc., illustrator, quark express and virtual studio code.
I am attaching the model of the Vega 56 from the seller.
So for a good power supply, you must use the ROM switch selected in economy mode and add an Evga Power Link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.