Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
I have searched and searched. I just need simple answers to a few questions if someone can help. I have a 4.1 flashed to 5.1. I have a MSI RX 580 w/4GB Ram. I need to know which RX 580 I actually need to get a bootscreen (if possible). Tired of using my GT 120. I know Apple supports the Sapphire Pulse 8GB for Mojave/High Sierra, but what's not clear is which part number and what they mean by "support" does that mean bootscreen support? To recap:

Is there anything I can do to get my current card to show a bootscreen (doubt it)?
Does the Sapphire Pulse 8GB show a bootscreen?
If so, what's the correct part number since Apple doesn't specify or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I need to know which RX 580 I actually need to get a bootscreen (if possible).

None. It's not possible at the moment.

I know Apple supports the Sapphire Pulse 8GB for Mojave/High Sierra, but what's not clear is which part number and what they mean by "support"

It doesn't really matter so much about the advertised part number. Just get one that hasn't been used for mining, and firmware hasn't been altered and you're fine. By support, they mean macOS has built-in drivers (the work OOTB).
No boot screens before the driver is loaded.

Is there anything I can do to get my current card to show a bootscreen (doubt it)?

No

Does the Sapphire Pulse 8GB show a bootscreen?

No, nothing before the OS loads the driver.
If so, what's the correct part number since Apple doesn't specify or does it not matter?

Already answered.

Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

Reactions: darthgeekonius

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
Thanks a lot!

None. It's not possible at the moment.

It doesn't really matter so much about the advertised part number. Just get one that hasn't been used for mining, and firmware hasn't been altered and you're fine. By support, they mean macOS has built-in drivers (the work OOTB).
No boot screens before the driver is loaded.

No

No, nothing before the OS loads the driver.

Already answered.

You're welcome.

Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.