Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loreesti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2022
Hello, I've just realized my 16" M1 Pro MacBook Pro (2021) has this strange s-shaped damage on the lid, nearby the hinge on the top-right corner.

I read somewhere on the web that it can be caused by putting too much pressure when opening the screen, but I don't remember to have done so, nor putting something in between the screen and the chassis when closing the MacBook. Of course, the notebook has never been dropped.

As I saw I'm not the only one experiencing this problem ( https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/6we10j ), does anyone know a way to fix this dent?

Thank you.

mbp-lid-damage-small.JPG

loreesti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2022
Hi, I am not best placed to help you as I do not own this model. But I remember a similar thread which might have some answers:

MacBook Pro dents by hinge
Yeah thanks, apparently even there they said it is caused by opening the lid more than it's supposed to. Said that, does anyone know if it is mechanically possible to fix it? Not looking for a DIY, just trying to understand if asking some professional would be possible to put the dent out

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
PDR (paintless dent repair) usually needs access to the back of the dent in order to massage the dent out. Impractical here because of the screen. So I think unlikely.

Reactions: chabig

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you have a similar "dent" on the other side (even a very small one)?

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Time to throw it out then, and buy a new MBA M2 without enough RAM and post you are having second thoughts on your purchase, but you only do web browsing, and it's not the lack of RAM but the design which bothers you, because we need more threads like this around here!

Reactions: filmbuff

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Time to throw it out then, and buy a new MBA M2 without enough RAM and post you are having second thoughts on your purchase, but you only do web browsing, and it's not the lack of RAM but the design which bothers you, because we need more threads like this around here!
Don't understand the relevance, unless you are joking? Which is fine, but OP with 2 posts may not get the inside joke, if that is what it is.

tinygoblin

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2022
Are you sure you followed Apple's official guidance on how much MBP lid should be opened? The max allowed angle is displayed perfectly clear in the video.

• Haha
Reactions: VaruLV

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
In normal use scenario, say, you open lid a tad too far, it shouldnt damage the screen assembly.
Only cases where I can imagine such damage done is where one holds/pushes keyboard/palmrest while opening display lid swiftly or with too much force?
I guess asking them(Apple) to make ~180 degree hinges is just too much for them to accomplish.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Is it possible that a hinge is binding or otherwise too “tight” and perhaps causing extra resistance when the lid is opened? Not sure how the force of a hinge is dialed in to a specific amount of resistance.

Or perhaps a handling issue where the lid is opened quickly while grasping only one corner?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.